Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New Member from Philly

Hey y'all. I moved to Philly three years ago, and decided I'd gone long enough without a tank. Although I've had fishtanks around me almost all my life, I haven't taken care of one on my own. I did my research and put together a fairly decent tank, I think. Here's my set-up:
29 gallon tank, all-glass
Penguin 350 Biowheel filter (Every book I read said there's no such thing as too much filtration, so why not?)
2 visi-therm 100 watt submersible heaters (sort of a fail safe I think. If one fails, the other one can do the job on its own; if one get's stuck, it will take a while to overheat the tank)
about 2" of medium gravel at the bottom
some plastic plants, some real plants, and a few "dead" rocks

I've had a few problems getting started, but I'll post that in the newb threads.

greyboysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AA Good choice on the heaters and filter for that size tank. What kind of fish did you have in mind?

fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64

it sounds like you are heading in the right direction.....
.....come to the "saltie" side....
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since this is the first fish tank I'm going to have, I don't want to be too ambitious, 'cause I want to have the fish I DO get for a long time. So, for this tank, I'm thinking of a few Cories (HUGE fan of catfish) to keep the bottom lively, some Platys, Tetras, and Danios to fill the rest of the tank. "Keep 'em small, keep 'em cheap," is the advice my Dad gave me on my first Tank. Haha. And I DEFINITELY want a salt tank one of these days. I still remember walking in to our local aquarium place in NY when I was 10. I saw a Yellow Tang and a Surgeon, and knew one day I'd have a saltwater tank.
greyboysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Ahh Philly. I used to love coming up there to the vet and watching my cowboys crunch the eagles. LOL. Welcome to AA. When you are ready for that SW tank let us know.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! If you want to start looking at the real planted side of FW, take a browse through our planted tank forum.

AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com