New Member from Switzerland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulbasel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My name is Paul and I live in Switzerland. As a young boy I kept freshwater aquariums. At the height of my hobby I had 5 tanks totaling about 100 gallons. I am now retired and thought that I might stick my toe in the water and start my old hobby again.

I thought that I would start with a Nano 5G tank and take it from there and see if the original fascination I had with fish is still there. I have attempted to bring my knowledge up to date and in doing so, I see that little has changed in the 60 years when I stopped keeping fish. Some new gadgets but the fundamentals are still the same.

I'm not sure if this introduction is the place to ask my first question and if not, I can post it in the appropriate forum. But, what I am interested in is finding a nano tank, 5 gallon, tall format, acrylic or glass, sufficient light for foreground plants, and and absolute must - all filters, motors, heaters in an equipment bay on the rear of the tank. No exception on this last requirement.

I look forward to your replies.

Paul

Since it is such a small tank, I'm leaning toward making it invertebrate only with perhaps a dwarf crayfish, cherry shrimp, a Thai micro crab and an assassin snail. I have to find out what is available because Switzerland has some of the toughest laws governing what can be imported into the country.

First, I need to find a quality 5 gallon nano tank and nothing that I see so far impresses me. If you have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Paul

Something like this?
JBJ PICOTOPE 3 gal. Curved Glass Tank - AquaCave.com
It may be hard for many to find what is available for you in Switzerland...
This is from a site in the USA.
You might find better results if you search on marine type sites as they sell AIO [All In One] setups of QUALITY more frequently then fresh water sites.
Many prefer to assemble a set up of their own equipment choosing piece by piece, rather then accept what the industry offers...
Welcome back to the hobby!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

I have come to the conclusion that it is better to buy the components separately as you suggested. However, one kit has caught my attention today and an unboxing reviewer was impressed by the quality of the components, particularly the lighting system which is very unique.

It is the Eheim Aquastyle 35 liter, a German company and available here in Switzerland. https://goo.gl/Oy6IFh. I think it is time that I paid a visit to my local aquarium dealer and see what he says. Again, thanks for responding.

Back
Top Bottom