New Member Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiteBluIn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I've been enjoying reading your forums for some time & finally decided it would be nice to ask some specific questions & continue learning!

I've mostly kept ponds, but recently helped my grandson set up a 5 gallon betta tank for his first pet. It reminded me how much I enjoyed aquariums when I was a kid. The next theing I knew, I had a 20-gallon high set up.

I started out with 3 Amano shrimp, and added 7 ghost shrimp after a few weeks. We have extremely hard (well) water but also have a water softener, so I added cuttlebone and a mini wondershell to my tank just in case. Next, I got 4 nerite snails, 1 is the mini horned type. They've all done well, so I just splurged and added 1 mystery snail. Yes, I really like snails!

I dont have an algae problem, so I feed New Life Spectrum Algaemax, NLS betta food, freeze-dried brine shrimp, freeze-dried green algae sheets, frozen blood worms, and fresh zucchini and cucumber. I also do a 25-30% water change weekly & keep the temp around 77-78 degrees. So far so good!

I'd like to add (5-6) kuhli loaches and possibly several (3) dwarf corys, but don't want to overload the tank. Lastly I'd like to add a betta so my grandson & I can compare 'notes'.

Do you think this would be too much? I have several live plants, some marimo balls and java moss, and plan to get more live plants. I use larger smooth river rock and petrified wood in the tank, but portions of the bottom are bare glass. I'd make sure it was completely covered if I get the betta, which would be the last fish.

Thanks for your input - sorry this was so long an introduction! :oops:

Thanks, question about waiting to add corys

Thanks Delapool!

I'll get the 5-6 kuhli loaches first. My 7 y/o grandson likes snakes & sharks, & I like non-agressive fish, so they seem the perfect compromise.

Re. the corys, is the issue more that it's too much bio-load, or that it'll be too many bottom-dwellers?

I wanted to get all the bottom fish in & well established before introducing a betta, so the bottom dwellers will have an alpha position to start.

Thanks again for your advice!

Thanks Delapool!

I'll get the 5-6 kuhli loaches first. My 7 y/o grandson likes snakes & sharks, & I like non-agressive fish, so they seem the perfect compromise.

Re. the corys, is the issue more that it's too much bio-load, or that it'll be too many bottom-dwellers?

I wanted to get all the bottom fish in & well established before introducing a betta, so the bottom dwellers will have an alpha position to start.

Thanks again for your advice!

Hi, it was a little of both but mainly I was thinking the bottom sounded well stocked. But I've found with loaches they hang out in weird spots so could see how it settles down.

Re. Corys and Newbie

OK, Delapool, I understand now, thanks! Will see what the loaches do - will probably add them sometime next week.

Thanks, too to Nirbhao & Bill22 - this is a great forum & fill of information!

Back
Top Bottom