New member: Hi all, I have been keeping a 125 litre tropical tank since July this yea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bevsie41

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am worried as I have 3 balloon Rams and one has changed colour today? Is this normal as in mating or is it sick? Please see photos of all 3 and on its own too. Big thanks in advance IMG_1479072214.295111.jpgIMG_1479072224.958898.jpg

It was the same color as the others? Could you tell us some details about your tank- size, time up, water parameters, stock- as well as a bit more about the fish's behavior?

Been set up 6 months almost, nitrite and ammonia is zero. This one of the three tends to hide a bit from the other two. So far I have in the tank the following: A True Synodontis granulosus catfish x 1
Balloon Ram x 3
Cardinal Tetra x 4
Peal Gourami x 1
Albino Gourami X 1
Red Wagtail x 1
Sail-fin Molly x 1
Otis - otocinclus catfish algae eaters x 5

Oh was the same colour as the other two, just a bit paler. Thanks

I have come home to fine he had died, just worried in case something up with tank, but tests show zero

125 Liters = 33g
Rams are territorial. They tend to pair up and bully any extra bottom fish.
If it wasn't the other two, it could be because Balloon anything is a man made deformity and may be weaker and more prone to dying. ( some seem very hardy, so yours should be fine since you've had them 6mo).

Color change is a sign of stress in Rams.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your other two Thrive.

Watch out that the Gouramis don't fight. They are territorial as well.
Albino Gourami ? What species ??

If it's a Kissing Gourami, they can get aggressive and kill tank mates ( not all, but some do this). They can also grow up to 12" (30.5cm)
" Kissing gouramis are territorial; some are tolerant towards fish of similar size, but others will bully, chase, and torment, causing significant stress on tank mates. Male kissers will occasionally challenge each other; however, the "kissing" itself is never fatal, but the constant bullying can stress the other fish to death. They often do in fact kill other fish by sucking the mucus off their skin as food, which opens the victim fish up to infections."

If it's a Giant Gourami they get 24" (61cm).

I would rehome or return the Albino Gourami if it was my tank.

As far as your S. granulosus ?
Please read and note adult size, tank size and details.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=416

You love your fish. Please research your current stock. Please think about long term health and compatibility and do not buy just because it looks pretty.

Your Syno will inhale your Cardinals one night. I know many many people who've lost fish this way. Wide mouthed Catfish are predatory and eat anything that fits. The Rams would be on the menu as well.

I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm on my phone so typing is a pain.
I want you to enjoy your tank for years to come and perhaps get hooked for life [emoji1360][emoji226][emoji226]

Everything I have, I was told was compatible with each other by my local fish shop. I was told also that my tank is by no means fully stocked either, I'm totally confused now. IMG_1479148782.370279.jpg this is my two gourami's

New member: Hi all, I have been keeping a 125 litre tropical tank since July ...

IMG_1479148963.003143.jpg a better one of the albino

I think your Albino might be a Platinum 3 Spot Gourami. Temperament varies widely. Pearls are the most peaceful of the Gouramis in that size range.

"Social Behaviors
The Platinum Gouramis are generally considered good community fish when small, but they are not as peaceful as the other gouramis. They have been known to attack smaller fish. When they get older only keep them with fish their own size. Individuals will show varying degrees of aggression. Some will be very belligerent and will handle their tank mates quite roughly. Others will be peaceful to the point of shyness. The aquarist should be prepared to adapt their tank to suit all personality types.
A mix of neutral personalities is an ideal goal for the range of tank mates. You should not include fish which will provoke this species into aggression as they are often passionate fighters. Fin nippers and gouramis should absolutely never be mixed. The trailing pelvic fins and generally slower movement of this gourami make it the perfect victim for nippers. The Platinum Gourami is also a skilled hunter and extremely small fish or fish fry rarely last long.
Good tankmates for this fish are robust cyprinid species like barbs, but avoid those that are notorious fin nippers like Tiger Barbs and Clown Barbs. Other good selections include larger characins, loricariid catfish from South America, and loaches. They can be kept with other medium to large gouramis, but bullying between gouramis is a likely scenario. Bullying between gouramis is a likely scenario as these fish, typical of the family, are fixated on constantly working out the details of the hierarchy.
Temperament: Peaceful - This species may be rough with smaller tankmates, increasingly so as it ages. This fish is a skilled hunter so smaller tankmates will probably be consumed."

Pet Stores often give very bad advice or they really don't know anything. Some employees or owners of some stores do try to give great advice.

Right now your fish will probably not be compatible long term.

Your Syno likes high Ph African type tank.

Your others all like softer, lower ph, esp your Rams.

My advice ?
Either set up a 100g tank for African Synos or return/rehome him.

return/rehome the Platinum Gourami or cross your fingers and count your Tetras daily.

Pick your favorite fish...build your future tank around that fish. Whether it's getting a Big tank or rehoming some current tank mates before disaster strikes.

If it was me?
Rehome the Platinum and the Syno.
Add more Cardinals.
Add a nice group of Cory Cats IF there is enough plants and caves and cover for the Rams to guard one area and let the Cories live in peace.

Otherwise no other bottom fish so Rams can rule there.

A large group of Cardinals will look awesome. I have 14 Neons in my 55g and plan to add more.

My 55g live planted tank
https://youtu.be/6k7gKA-8Yw0
https://youtu.be/AgU-xdgPov8

Feel free to ignore my advice. I don't want to bully you. I used sell fish and managed Pet Stores. I saw a lot of people crash their tanks or lose fish for avoidable reasons.

See if there are any Aquarium or fish clubs in your area. They can be an awesome resource and save you a lot of money.

New member: Hi all, I have been keeping a 125 litre tropical tank since July ...

I appreciate your advice, your tank looks fantastic. I'm gutted, at the shop I got all my fish from, he is meant to be a marine biologist and that's why I took on board all he said and believed him. I did read about the size of tank re the my synos but when questioned at shop told me grow to size of tank and my tank is plenty big enough.
Thanks for all your advice, I need to think forward now.

Large fish stunt and die in smaller tanks. They may also become aggressive sooner as they can't claim territory.

A Marine Biologist may know a ton about Salt Water or about one species or be widely knowledgeable but still be ignorant about some facts.

You are welcome. I'm sorry to throw all this negative stuff at you. I'm very cautious when it comes to my fish.

I'm a member of my local planted tank club and continue to learn from them and from this site.

Planet Catfish is my go to for Catfish info. They are global and many breed rare Cats.

Thank you I'm going to look for a club to and get saving for a huge tank.

You can often get used tanks cheap...but, buyer beware. Check for chips, cracks and make sure it holds water. Make sure no one has removed a center top brace.

Some shops have deals. We get $1per gallon sales here.

Back
Top Bottom