new member in maryland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I think I'm done with Tom's. Dead fish in tanks, no care taken when netting it bagging, not enough water when bagging. Tattooed and "painted" fish, sickly fish. Check out this poor guy, he looked so sad with his fins all nipped up and cloudy eyes

image-3510907105.jpg

Went to Toms

I saw the sick pufferfish that you photographed .

Most heartbreaking for me was this sailfin Molly . I was contemplating buying it a couple weeks ago. I balked at the $10 price tag. Now it can barely move out of the gravel. The white patches weren't there then and its fin is rotting

We should call the ASPCA or some authority on this.

image-1228093113.jpg

Well, against my better judgement I bought a turquoise gourami at toms on Wednesday. Beautiful fish! Guess what is dead on the bottom today... That is the last time.

sorry about your gourami. Tom's will replace it. I had to go back 3 separate times to replace a neon tetra that would die within 24 hours.

i went to afishionados about a month ago. it was just ok. only slightly less stinky than Tom's. Not much selection when I went, but they were due to get a shipment in. The tanks were a little dark and I couldn't really observe the overall health of the fish. The person there seemed interested and knowledgable.

Let me know what you think if you make it down there.

You said it. Dark, limited selection.. But they are moving across the parking lot to a bigger facility so may be a viable option

i keep going to Tom's. WHY!!??

It's just way too close to my house. I got some albino corys and the live black worms which are pretty cool.

But once again, I got screwed on the plant. I picked up a Brazilian Sword which apparently is another semi-aquatic plant. oh well, i'll keep it then plant it outside when it fails. of course, the 2 teenyboppers in the store couldn't tell me anything about the plant except the price. once again, against my better judgement, i bought it based solely on the way it looked.

I am going to stop going to Toms (at least for couple weeks). unfortunately this hobby is addictive.

well if it is variegated (white stripes on it) it is almost definitely not aquatic. i think there is only 1 or 2 plants that are and they are never available in a pet store or aquarium store.
If you're ever down in alexandria, va area it's worth a visit to Pristine Aquarium. Nice set up there but i haven't talked to anyone there so can't comment on knowledge base. Not too bad a selection of fresh and salt but i didn't see anything that was unique or uncommon.
You looking for some plants Gish? I have some i can trade.

Fish eggs-- Thanks for the offer and advice. Being a newbie I don't have much to trade. Would be happy to buy some plants if you have any to spare.

at this point I can only barter clippings of plants. If I'm lucky and barring any major mishap, maybe in a few months I could actually offer up some decent size plants.

My current foliage-- java fern, java moss, green cabomba, wisteria, ludwigia repens, alternathia reinckii. they seem to be doing better with my new lights and excel/trace elements.

hi. there's a new aquarium store in Rosedale. NE corner of rossville blvd and rt 7. called Go Fish.

Back
Top Bottom