Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka
Any of you other MD peeps cichlid lovers? The CCA meets af JFK High School every month, check out www.capitalcichlids.org if you're interested. Great place to mix and mingle with other fish folks and find used tanks/equipment and fish (not just cichlids either) often bred/raised locally at great prices.
+1 thanks for reminding me, I keep hearing about it and always forget to sign up.

I just wanna go to one of their larger auctions. I know they had one in my home town(laurel) a couple years ago.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka
Any of you other MD peeps cichlid lovers? The CCA meets af JFK High School every month, check out www.capitalcichlids.org if you're interested. Great place to mix and mingle with other fish folks and find used tanks/equipment and fish (not just cichlids either) often bred/raised locally at great prices.
I'll have to check that out. I am about to start my first cichlid tank

Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi I live in perry hall. I've just started aquaria and have been going to toms Tropicals a lot. I agree the staff can be hit or miss. Try to go between 10 am and 3 pm during the wk when the teenage staff is in school. There are a couple of middle age ladies (one is toms sister )and even Tom himself that can be helpful. The store is cramped and it smells but the fish and plants are great. The hardware and accessories are overpriced by a few buck but I do try to support this lfs as much as I can
Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will def check out the stores in glen byrnie and Parkville as well
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah when we first started going to Toms we wanted to support them because theyve been around for along time . We do like going there for certain fish, like all of our platies because they have a ton of variety and we have always had good luck with them. and 2 of our tank set ups we bought from there. Our 29 gallon+stand and our 75 gallon and stand. Never really had any issues with them.
We will go to Exotic Aquatics for other things like heaters, live food, and live plants. Some fish as well. They are getting ready to move locations actually which is a shame. they arent sure where they are moving to yet, but they are trying to stay local.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Exotics is getting ready to move I mean, not Toms
Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm glad your Platys from toms did well. I have 7 of them and a Molly They are thriving. (I've had an aquarium for less than a month)

The few plants I got from them were well priced and doing well. I like their low tech approach. They just use gravel and low end fluorescent lights . They don't do any fertilizer or co2. Just all natural fish poo
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah Ive never used ferts for any of my plants. They've always done well. Well, this really pretty half purple plant(dont ask the same cause I haven't a clue, lol) I bought from Toms ( I loved it so much) pretty much died because my bala sharks like to vacuum the bottom of my tank and pretty much tore that one up from the gravel. so it didnt make it. But my other ones work out fine.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

So we were at exotic aquatics last night, and they informed us that they are closing at the end of the week. Everything in the store is half off, its half empty. Its such a shame! They have been saying they are moving just wasnt sure where yet. Well now they have no place to move to, and they dont know where or when they can reopen
Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow, that sucks. I really like that place. There isn't another lfs in the area with their selection. Guess I am going to have to trek all the way to HoT. Toms is ok in a pinch but they just don't have the selection or knowledge.

With everything half off I'll have to go see what I can get tomorrow.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | New Guy »