Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea my panda catfish (?) eat them too. He sucks them off the bottom like spaghetti. Nasty lol

Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

went back to Tom's. I am please to report that they cleaned out the dead/diseased fish in the albino cory tank. the remaining ones just lie there though. i thought they were supposed to be more energetic fish.

went to exotic aquatics. they still have some fish, a lot of what they have seems a bit advanced for me, ie, tons of chiclids. they also have lots of plants. only a handful of tanks and stands and for some reason, they aren't discounting those much. i'll go back this wkend hoping to get a 29 gallon + stand. hopefully i can get a better deal on that.

it was a definitely a sad sight to see this store closing down. it's a bummer that I just recently discovered this hobby and did not get see this store in its prime. one can easily tell that it must have been impressive both in quality and selection. hopefully they will be able to reopen somewhere else. the staff genuinely seems to have no idea what the future holds.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah the store was pretty nice I must say. All of the staff knows what they are talking about and have a lot of knowledge. Your right, for weeks and still, none of them truly know what is going to happen with the store. And it is a shame. Hopefully they are able to keep us updated on their facebook page on website on when and where they will reopen, if they do.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Regular

I guess I'll have to start looking for a new lfs
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hear good things about a place in Glen Burnie, called House of Tropicals I think its called. Ive never been there byt people I know have. Its not the closest to me but might be worth checking out
Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, they are good. Just so far from me
Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

i'm going to check out House of tropicals. Maybe today as I'm here at Harbor Hospital! my wife thinks i'm going crazy visiting every fish store in town (and in Tampa, FL when we were on vacation last week). she might be right, but it's fun to have a new hobby.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its definitely a hobby. There was a place on Liberty rd, not sure what that was called that I use to hear was really nice.. but was just told they are in the process of moving and they've gone downhill in quality. Which is a shame cause that's close to where I work.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I made it to house of Tropicals. Driving up I was tickled that it was next to a Blockbuster video. After browsing the 5 DVDs for 20 bucks Rack I ventured into the House.

The store has anything you could be wishing for. The staff was easily recognizable by their shirts and they were helpful but a little busy too. The prices were competitive.

It wasn't stuffy or stanky like toms. They had the reptiles/rodents in the back.

Tons of fish. I definitely want to get into cichlids at some point. I saw a couple new types of fish but the majority was what most of us would expect to find.-- except for the monster gourami which greets you

The only thing that irks me about the lfs-- toms, house of t, Exotics-- Is their difficult to read/ sometimes inaccurate labeling of stock and poor lighting conditions which do not always showcase the fish. The mega mart pet stores definitely outdo the lfs in the area of clarity and presentation.

I'm almost ashamed to Admit this but afterward I went to the petco near golden ring/rt 40 and found the aqueon 29 gal kit I wanted for 76$. It was $120 at the house Also the Charlie mansonish teen that helped me at petco knew his fish as good as anyone at the lfs.

As much as I want to support the lfs how can you deny the simple economics of this.

Tomorrow I'm Going to exotics with family in tow to try to nab a stand, some Groundcover, Some water sprite, and those cute panda Cories if there's anything left
Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, I am going to exotics tomorrow too. Get those close out deals.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | New Guy »