New member introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

versatile bread

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I am not really sure how I am supposed to format this, but I guess I will just explain my experiences in aquarium keeping and my tanks:

I am 15 years old, and have been keeping fish for about 6 years. My most recent endeavor was a 5 gallon breeder tank, with guppies for breeding. Sadly, all of the fish died, because of a power outage that killed my air conditioning (I am from California, temperatures of 115 F are not uncommon) and Aeration system, causing the fish to over heat and die. My grandma and one of my cousins have some very basic knowledge in fish keeping, and usually take care of my tank while I am out of town, as was the case this time.
I also have a 3.5 gallon breeder, that I kept a Plecostomus in for 3 years when I was around 4 years old.
My big tank, which is currently not in use, is a 30 gallon breeder, with a sump filter. i have not used it because I have no stand that can support its weight.

One of my dreams is to start a reef tank (potentially in the 30 gallon tank) , But due to the fact that my family goes on vacation during the summer from anywhere between a 2 weeks to around 2 months, I can't be there to watch salinity levels, among other things. I would like to figure out a way to build an automatic system that can add water to the tank when the salinity is off, due to evaporation, and other factors (I have experience with electronics fabrication) any Ideas on how I can keep a marine tank alive would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Welcome!

Travelling / being away from home does pose some issues. There are many good brands with automated systems to top off water. Most importantly look through them and see which features would be most useful. Features like back up water sensors. My suggestion for a start. (I would be no help in it's design.)

You might keep your eyes open for a really nice condition previously used unit with the features need most.

Glad you found us.

Back
Top Bottom