New Member - Koi or Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave Dynasty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I'm Dave and I'm excited to be joining this community. I have long had small 10 gallon aquariums, but I'm in the process of having a 240 gallon tank built into a wall in my basement. It's custom framed, with a water source and drain, along with a sizable area underneath for the filtration system.

So we're having a debate as to whether to have koi or African cichlids. The room theme is Japanese zen, so koi would be a nice touch. However, they grow so large I think I'd be systemically removing them until only a couple remained. (We'd rather not have to give away longtime residents, as we get attached). So, we're also considering African cichlids, which we believe would bring color, variety and activity to the tank.

So, as a new member, I'd love to hear the thoughts of other aquarium enthusiasts.

Thanks!

Dave

Welcome! AA is a wonderful forum to join and you're sure to get great info from here.

I'd suggest the cichlids because you have so much you can do with them. Koi definitely get large so you can't have as many numbers / varieties as with the cichlids.

Good luck! Keep us updated ;)

<g.m.t.a>

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I can see either way but it sounds like a few fancy goldfish could be nice.

Either way, keen to see pics :)

Thank you for the responses. We are going to go with the cichlids, as we're able to have some nice goldfish in smaller tanks.

Looking forward to more discussions!

Back
Top Bottom