New member! Looking for a centerpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToxicSteve

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! My name is Steve and I'm a freshman in college! I was thinking about a centerpiece for my dorm room and saw this: Aquarium Coffee Table

I thought it would be perfect! But I didn't want to just dive in and add some fish to a tank and hope it works out. I've been really missing my pets I used to have before I had to give them up to a good home (pet rats). Fish are the only thing allowed in the dorm rooms (up to 20gal).

So this is where I am beginning my research and hopefully get a tank going soon. I am thinking of a planted tank with tetras, platys, and maybe a beta? (I don't know if they are all compatible however).

If you could point me in the right direction for the type of tank I am mainly looking for:
Non-smelly
Limited water changes (2-4 times a month)
20-gal (or 10) tank

Thank you so much!

For a dorm room you'll want small and simple. I'd say a 10 gal with 8 - 10 neon tetras and some ghost shrimp. Small bioloads and pretty easy to do a weekly 50%
PWC. If you get one with a stock hood and lighting, low light plants like Anubias and bamboo would work. This set up is pretty much what my son's 10gal is like.

For a dorm room you'll want small and simple. I'd say a 10 gal with 8 - 10 neon tetras and some ghost shrimp. Small bioloads and pretty easy to do a weekly 50%
PWC. If you get one with a stock hood and lighting, low light plants like Anubias and bamboo would work. This set up is pretty much what my son's 10gal is like.

What is one "big" fish that would play nice with those guys?

Is the need to cycle that great with plants? I've heard mixed things.

Back
Top Bottom