New Member needs advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawschick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a 55 gallon fish tank for a while now. Had a snapper in it for the longest time. When the snapper passed I just put the tank in the basement and have left it there collecting everything but fish. I now have it out, cleaned and ready to fill; however, the only place I can put it is in a sub-basement. It gets damp and smelly down there in the spring when it rains and we use a dehumidifier to help. My question is can I have my fish and dehumidifier in the same room? Any suggestions would be wonderful and very much appreciated.

Good morning law...

A lack of humidity isn't going to affect your tank. As long as your location is level and there's no risk of debris falling or otherwise getting into it, your tank will be fine.

B

Welcome Aboard!

I don't see why you can have both in the same room. I'd keep the top of the tank covered myself (I do on every tank) to avoid things that tend to inhabit basements from getting into it.

Thanks for the info. My husband seems to think that the fish tank will cause the dehumidifier to work overtime.

Thanks for the info. My husband seems to think that the fish tank will cause the dehumidifier to work overtime.

Your husband has a point. If you had multiple tanks in the area, then the humidity could get a little high. However, Limpet is right, if you have a hood, just keep it on the tank and most of the moisture will stay inside.

B

He is correct .. the dehumidifier can cause aquarium water to evaporate, depending on the RH setting you set the dehumidifier to. The lower the RH, the more evaporation, however .... a hood will help to slow this .. but evaporation is inevitable. Another thing to consider is the temp of the basement .. which are generally cooler on average, so your heater ... if you have one will be on longer. Really shouldn't make much of a difference however as long as you have a good heater.

Back
Top Bottom