New member needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marjul24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi - I have a 29 gallon tank with about 20 pollaties- mollies - guppies - tetras -tiger barbs and one large pocastamus (sorry not sure how to spell it). We have had problems with white cloudy water. I got the eco block a month ago and two days ago we even replaced my old aquaclear filter to a marineland power filter penguin 150. Today I tested my water (with the tubes) and my PH - Amonia and Nitrate/Nitrites were all high. I tested last week and only my PH was high. My husband and I are going back and forth on the feeding. I think we need to go to once a day. Also, when we feed them the pump pushes the food to the bottom. Should I turn off the pump when feeding? Please help.

Hi and welcome to AA :)
When you replaced the filter did you take the filter media out of the old one and put it in the new one? If not you may have started a mini cycle and have bacterial bloom.

what do you mean by take the filter media out of the old one? Sorry

The stuff that is inside your filter: the sponges, filter floss, ceramic rings, bio balls or whatever was inside. That stuff would have had "good" bacteria on it that nom nom noms it's way through ammonia and nitrites.

He's saying it's always good if you can to take the old filter cartridge out of your old filter she the good bacteria is still live and active and put it I'm the new one, your tank will cycle faster, by pitting on the new filter cartridge you started the process over

no I threw it all away since this filter type was completely different. The marineland biowheel has the filter you slide in and the old aquaclear had the sponge rocks etc so I had nowhere to put in this.

oh thank you both so much. I was really freaked out. I am glad I joined AA

no I threw it all away since this filter type was completely different. The marineland biowheel has the filter you slide in and the old aquaclear had the sponge rocks etc so I had nowhere to put in this.

Well in that case you threw out most of your Beneficial Bacteria:banghead:. The white cloudy water is basically a bacteria bloom ... which is good!(y) I assume you still have the same substrate and ornaments? If so the bacteria living in there is what kept your tank from having a nasty ammonia spike. Continue to do PWC's ... most of the bacteria in the water will settle into the new filter media and substrate and the water will clear.

And yes in the future if you need to get a new filter ... even if it's a different one, keep the filter media to seed the new filter .. just stuff as much of the old media whereever you can .. even if you have to cut it up.

Pleasure treasure :D
We're glad you joined too. There are always plenty of people on hand to give some help and like somebodys signature says(can't remember who's though, sorry) the only stupid question is the one you don't ask

one more question. I put in the ph down / nitraban and a bacterial suppliment when I first saw the levels. Do I still need to do a water change like they suggested? or should I wait another day to see what happens?

Can't really help you there I'm afraid, I've no experience at all of any of those supplements :( Someone cleverer than me will have to chip in on that one.

one more question. I put in the ph down / nitraban and a bacterial suppliment when I first saw the levels. Do I still need to do a water change like they suggested? or should I wait another day to see what happens?

At this point ... since your in a mini-cycle ... your ammo, nitrites and nitrates need to dictate your PWC's... but yes PWC's are a good idea. I don't remember reading this ... do you have an API test master kit? If not ... I would HIGHLY (as well as other AA members) recommend you get one .. forget any test strips ... too inaccurate.

As for those other chemicals/additives ... don't bother. Moving forward the only chemical ... IMO ... you should put in your tank is de-chlorinator ... Seachem Prime is the one AA members most recommend.

Hi - I got the eco block a month ago and two days ago we even replaced my old aquaclear filter to a marineland power filter penguin 150. Today I tested my water (with the tubes) and my PH - Amonia and Nitrate/Nitrites were all high. I tested last week and only my PH was high. .

Ok .. I went back and looks like tubes means API -test master. A 25% PWC probably wouldn't hurt ... but I would test again and let the numbers dictate our PWC amount.

yeah I used the API test master kit when I first was having problem I had read about it and I have only been using that since.
ok thanks I will do the water changes. Do you recommend daily then until the tests show clear again or do every other day?

yeah I used the API test master kit when I first was having problem I had read about it and I have only been using that since.
ok thanks I will do the water changes. Do you recommend daily then until the tests show clear again or do every other day?

I'd say daily PWC's to keep the ammo under .25ppm .. although zero is the target .. once there your cycled(y). Since you had the bacterial bloom, I'd say your close to being cycled again .. can't be too much longer. Don't worry about removing BB with the PWC's ... there'll be plenty of them .. especially after the bloom.

Back
Top Bottom