New Member newbie at fish keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martylise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, my name is Marty and my husband and I just recently decided it would be nice to have an aquarium and relax in the evening and watch the fish. We are recreational fisher people and only catch and release. We got 2 bosemani rainbow, 1 irian, 2 turquoise, 3 red tail barbs and one blue dwarf gourami, one orange gourami and a rainbow shark. So far all are doing well after we had some major water issues due to adding fish too early at startup. Live and learn...that is what we are doing and hope to learn from reading everyone's posts and getting some expertise from all of you knowledgeable fish keepers. Thank you for letting me join, I hope I can contribute through my experiences.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/images/smilies/fish2.gif

Thank you so much, I have been reading them Excellent info.

Hello and welcome. I admire your willingness to take on a challenge like keeping a Rainbow Shark and keeping it with different species. I hope you have it in a larger tank, at least 55 gallons and it's heavily planted. The species is very territorial and not one for the beginner.

Good luck,

B

Hi Thank you , yes we have a 90 gallon and lots of places to hide and live plants. He chases the fish away but doesn't seem to hurt them so far, if needed we will separate them. Thanks for the info. We are learning a lot. Any idea why my rainbow has a white bit of fuzz on his lip? It has been there ( no bigger) for a month

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty...

I don't have a diagnosis for you. What I can tell you is by keeping the tank water extremely clean with large weekly water changes, the chances of anything bad infecting a healthy fish in pure water conditions is very remote. As you'll find out, this hobby is 100 percent about keeping the tank water clear of dissolved fish waste material. The more water you change and the more often you do it, the better.

Have fun!

B

Excellent, I will do my best. My problem is my husband thinks we are getting rid of good bacteria when we vacuum and remove water. He is worried because we had a hard time getting it going and our test strips say all is good now. He says if it ain't broke don't fix it. Ill try to convince him it is what we must do weekly. Thanks again for your advice.

Info if the article I think recalling mentioning about that the bacteria isn't really in the water column.

Yes there is some BB which colonize on the rocks. From my understanding, that they are attached to the rocks not free floating (there could be something in the water but they colonize in areas of oxygenation and water flow primarily as that is how they get the ammonia/etc. to do their work.

If he is worried about vac'ing, focus on the areas of the tank where the food falls (like front of tank where you usually feed) and where it collects, due to the water flow patterns, there is usually a couple spots where the poo goes!

Clean fresh (treated) water changes are where it is at, keeps the tank fresh, and better balanced, and offers the most opportunity for proper growth, as if there are any hormones being excreted (which can limit other fish growth) they can get fresh new water on a regular basis.

In reading up on this (not a fish scientist myself) some fish like to get an advantage over others so try to help themselves grow more and keep breeding competitors smaller and less attractive to potential mates.

And the info from BB about the dissolved organics /TDS doesn't help them.

RE: Rainbow (is it shark or other Rainbow with it?) lip fuzz is always a huge caution sign.

So no other fish have become ill or died since you have seen this fuzzy mouth?

Hi thanks for the great info, I didnt know about the hormone thing also, I had a turquoise rainbow get a white fuzzy spot on his lip so I did what I read on a post.. catch him and put salt in it. It seemed to work. I need to catch the bosemani and do that to him. He has had it over a month, we have not lost a single fish yet and really dont want to. I would prefer natural remedies if possible so if i can catch him I will try the salt again. I appreciate you takin the time to search and get all this info. Thanks so much. I will let you know how it goes. :)

Am i correct in assuming that you must add the conditioners ('prime' etc.) every time you add water or do partial water changes ?

Hi. I am new at this and I always add a declorinator to the new water. Usually just that but sometimes we add Stability which helps establish the bio filter and prevents new tank syndrome. I really dont know a lot about this yet. We are learning too. Hope someone else can also give their advice.

No need for stability if you've properly cycled your tank. It's also suspect as to whether the bacteria is actually alive in the bottle or not as it needs to feed on ammonia or it dies.

Always add a dechlorinator to your water unless you know for sure that the water you're adding doesn't contain chlorine or chloramine.

Back
Top Bottom