New member/questionable electric blue depsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffekins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm a new member here and I still consider myself pretty new as to being a hobbyist. I own a couple of tanks, including a sixty gallon. My question regards a young electric blue jack dempsey. This guy is quite selective when he eats (if he eats at all) and I've tried numerous things like brine shrimp and blood worms. He's kind of timid and antisocial and I'm just concerned for his well being. Sometimes it looks as if he's searching for food in the rocks at the bottom but then he'll spit it out. Anyway, if anyone has any advice or has any experience with this fish let me know. Thanks :D

How long have you had the EBJD? Mine has always been fairly antisocial. I never noticed him eat until a month or so after I got him. He would not eat the pellets outright because he was hiding, but he would always get them later on. It might be a good idea to place them to where you can keep tabs on them.

Another thing is he always eats frozen/thawed bloodworms, even when he was really little, so did you try those or are they freeze dried?

Have you noticed stringy/white poo at all? They are very susceptible to internal parasites and when I got mine initially I treated him with metronidazole.

How big is yours now? I've only had him for just less than a week. I was concerned because of all the things I've read about how sensitive EBJD's are. To be honest, they're freeze dried so I'll make a quick run and get the frozen ones. And I noticed him scratching on an object a couple times so I'll get him that parasite med too. Thanks for the advice jedajocky :)

Heres my EBJD around middle of 2010
img_1584427_0_2b3b3f39ed6442ef3e0e309f1adb2259.jpg

about one year later
img_1584427_1_2d44d8879649fccb0eca9842c94fbad1.jpg

Beautiful, mine looks like the picture from 2010 right now. Oh, and I did make that quick run to the store around 4 hours ago. Gave him the treatment awhile ago, and he finally ate! Thawed out a few of those frozen worms and he ate several so I'm pretty happy about that. He seems slightly more sociable at night.

Attachments

• hunkalin 1.jpg
    hunkalin 1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 89
  • hunkalin 2.jpg
    hunkalin 2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 78
Beautiful, mine looks like the picture from 2010 right now. Oh, and I did make that quick run to the store around 4 hours ago. Gave him the treatment awhile ago, and he finally ate! Thawed out a few of those frozen worms and he ate several so I'm pretty happy about that. He seems slightly more sociable at night.

Wow, his colors are stunning! Jack Dempsey's really are colorful!

Back
Top Bottom