New Member Rundown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinaKalada

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. We have had multiple aquariums in the past two to three years. Yes. I have killed my share of fish. I'm learning. And I've aquired many aquatic things. I have 10 gallon tank that's in use. And a 5 gallon that's not in use. I had a gallon Dr. Suess bowl. But tht recently cracked when I made a hospital tank. But I do have another gallon Dr. Suess bowl too. That's being used by a land snail we picked up at our local state park fishing. He's thriving. Laid about 100 eggs too. Lol. Within two weeks. Still waiting for them to hatch. I am a water sign. Have always loved water life. Both animal and plant. I have started an interest in bamboo, bonsai, & airplants too. I actually added a stalk of lucky bamboo to te land snail tank. But I'm getting better t all of this thru trial and error. And a ton of research. Lol. One thing that boggles my mid is, how in the hell do people keep their tanks so clean. I have goldfish. 3. And I know it's not enough space. But every 2-3 days I vacuum & Syphon a water change. Their fine. But my water still gets cloudy. I test the pH. N am buying the master test kit or the 7 in 1. But that'll be next check. My vacuum Syphon is battery operated. N I love it. But is it because I have dirty goldfish that some particles remain within my gravel and cause the cloudy after a vacuum and Syphon water change? I'd live to literally watch a detailed video, numerous actually, to see how everyone else does it. And maybe pick a few tips. Any tips from anyone here would be incorporated. How the heck do people keep it sparkling like on TV? I'm always vacuuming and water changing. A few friends of mine have tanks. N their waters clear. I should say mine is too, jus cloudy after a maintenance. But their decor gravel and tank is disgusting. Algae etc. they get jealous when they see mine. Ty for anyone whom took their time to read this. As well as a special thank you to anyone who comments. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi NinaKalada,

Welcome to AA! Please make your way to the General Discussions or Getting Started sub-forums in the FW section as you'll get a lot of good advice there.

But right off the bat, I can tell you that even a single goldfish is too much for a 10g. Even if they're not that large yet, they have a HUGE bioload, meaning they produce a lot of ammonia. I'd recommend to get a larger tank or rehome your goldie. You can get fish that stay small and aren't heavy ammonia producers. Something like a school of tetras. It sounds like you have more than one goldfish in there?

The key to crystal clear tanks is to not overstock, don't overfeed, have a good quality filter, and stay on top of partial water changes. I do mine once a week and change about 30% of the water. Also, to avoid algae, don't leave the lights on too long and don't setup a tank near a window.

Last edited:
Welcome to aa! Yes Bryan is correct about the goldfish. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not look at the article on this site about fish in cycling. (y)

Back
Top Bottom