New member! starting 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

incodwetrust

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

Just got my first tank for Christmas! It is a 20 gallon tank with a whisper ex filter that came with the tank. I am hoping to start my water cycling as soon as my stand is put together! Can't wait!

Best of luck and have fun with it. Thought about occupants yet?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Congrats and welcome!
Should be an exciting weeks/month ahead!

Do you have a heater and a thermometer?

Read this article about Fishless cycling:

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

As an alternative to fishless cycling, you can get some established filter media, like reticulated foam or ceramic rings, from somebody else with an established, cycled aquarium. Put that in your filter and you will be able to add a couple of fish right away, then gradually build from there.

Also, the filter you have has pretty much zero biofiltration capacity in it's stock form. What you want to do is remove the filter cartridge, and insert a piece of properly sized reticulated foam (Aquaclear foam, for example) in the filter. It will provide much more surface area for bacteria to colonize, and you never need to replace it. Just rinse it ever so gently in tank water once every month or so.

I myself have a 20g with a whisper ex30, and another 20g with which i have an aqua clear 50. 1 pair of dwarf gouramis in each

Back
Top Bottom