New Member: StickyOto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyOto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are a mother & daughter in New England. We have 1 10 gallon tropical freshwater tank that was just set up in early January. The first fish (3 harequin rasbora) were introduced 3 weeks ago. Last weekend we introduced 2 otocats and 1 male fancy guppy. Sadly, despite a very gentle introduction, we lost one of the otocats the first night. :( The surviving one is doing well.

We have hard water with a pH of 7.4-7.6 and are looking for advice on hardy fish that thrive at this pH.

Welcome to AA glad you joined!! A lot of tropical fish can live at that ph and most community fish.

StickyOto said:
Do you know of any catfish?

Plecos are types of catfish but I don't know if you can fit one in that size maybe bristlenose plec.

Upside-down Catfish and Dwarf Sucker picking!

I am look at 2 catfish the Upside-down Catfish and Dwarf Sucker now. I need really small catfish

You could do a small school of Pygmy cories in a 10 gallon, they're catfish but really small. :D

Hi,
Neither of those fish are suitable for a 10gallon tank. I it a UK or US 10gallon?
How was the tank cycled?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Pleas dread this. ^^^

It's a US 10g. It was cycled with fish. We set it up mid-week. Added 3 harlequin rasbora on the weekend. The next weekend ammonia was 1-2PPM so we did a partial water change. Since then ammonia has never been over .25PPM. Nitrate and nitrite have never been detectable. We've done one additional partial water change (last weekend, before adding the oto cats and guppy).

Thank you for the link. We'll read it over.

StickyOto said:
It's a US 10g. It was cycled with fish. We set it up mid-week. Added 3 harlequin rasbora on the weekend. The next weekend ammonia was 1-2PPM so we did a partial water change. Since then ammonia has never been over .25PPM. Nitrate and nitrite have never been detectable. We've done one additional partial water change (last weekend, before adding the oto cats and guppy).

Thank you for the link. We'll read it over.

I would advise not adding any more fish until after the cycle is complete. If there is any ammonia or nitrite and no nitrate the tank is not cycled. Your tank sounds like it is still in the first half of the cycle. An average cycle takes 4-8 weeks (or more) to cycle.

Thank you. I wondered if we were through the cycle having just not built up much nitrite. Sounds like we just aren't making nitrite yet. I'll keep monitoring, waiting for some nitrate.

It generally takes 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank.

I'm not surprised at the loss of your oto. They are very sensitive and do much better in established tanks, 6 months or older.

Welcome to the forum.

A friend told us otocats weren't very hardy but the woman at the store told us the tank was ready. I am disappointed with the bad advice of a supposed professional. We're here to do more thorough research ourselves before adding more fish since we now doubt the advice we are getting.

GET OTOS!!! otocinclus that is they are tank cleaning machines and are great community fish i have one in my tank and i am pretty new to the whole deal as well i really like my otocinclus catfish

A friend told us otocats weren't very hardy but the woman at the store told us the tank was ready. I am disappointed with the bad advice of a supposed professional. We're here to do more thorough research ourselves before adding more fish since we now doubt the advice we are getting.

And you SHOULD doubt the advice, always. The vast majority of us have been bamboozled by lfs staff, very sad.

Oto's are great.....just wish they got a little bigger...too small for a Cichlid tank

Back
Top Bottom