New Member To AA:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everybody:) I'm new to this website and to aquariums and fish keeping. I received a 40 gallon hexagon aquarium as a gift a couple of weeks ago. The past week I have put fish in it and some died and then I got more I'm sure I made mistakes in the number of fish I put in and transferring them to their new home. But, currently I have fish in and they are living nicely and healthily:) I have...
1 tequila sunrise male guppy
1 fancy male guppy
2 tuxedo male guppies
1 red/gold tuxedo male guppy
4 female fancy guppies
2 sunburst platy
1 red wag platy
3 otocinclus

If you guys have any suggestions or questions they would be greatly appreciated:) thanks:)

Thanks for the links:) I was seeing people post about cycling their tanks and I was wondering what it was. Thanks again

KeeperOfFish said:
Thanks for the links:) I was seeing people post about cycling their tanks and I was wondering what it was. Thanks again

Happy to help :). Feel free to start a thread about your new tank in the freshwater getting started section so other members can help you through the process if needed.

For now, until you can get a good test kit (we mostly recommend API Master Kits), try to perform minimum daily 50% partial water changes (pwc's) until you can discover your levels. It's very important to do enough pwc's to keep your ammo and no2 below .25 at all times when you have fish in your tank to prevent them from suffering during the cycling process.

A bottle of Seachem Prime water conditioner will also be a big help during the process.

Remember, there is no such thing as too many water changes as long as you are dechlorinating and temperature matching the water. :)

Thanks:) Now I know what to do to keep my fish healthy. Before I wasn't sure if that stuff was necessary.

KeeperOfFish said:
Thanks:) Now I know what to do to keep my fish healthy. Before I wasn't sure if that stuff was necessary.

Cycling your tank is the most important aspect, but also requires the most commitment and patience.

After that, the secret to fish keeping is to keep it simple. Don't let anyone (especially the pet store) convince you that bottles of chemicals are the solution for anything. The only things that are required to keep a healthy aquarium are a bucket and a bottle of water conditioner for water changes. :).

K cool thanks you have been a great help:) also is the amount of fish I have a good amount for the size of tank I have?

KeeperOfFish said:
K cool thanks you have been a great help:) also is the amount of fish I have a good amount for the size of tank I have?

I'm definitely not the stocking expert on the site, but they all seem like small fish which would be fine for a 40 gallon. O would get some advice on the male to female ratio from other members. Based on the type of fish...it seems you're going to have LOTS of babies in your future, lol. Make sure you don't add anymore fish until the tank is cycled. More fish will only compound the problem and make cycling more difficult.

ok good i was hoping to get babies im all into the breeding thing. and ya as soon as i can im going to buy a water testing kit and cycle it. thanks for your help:):thanks:

KeeperOfFish said:
ok good i was hoping to get babies im all into the breeding thing. and ya as soon as i can im going to buy a water testing kit and cycle it. thanks for your help:):thanks:

No problem. Remember to do at least a 50% water change every day until you get your test kit. That will keep your fish swimming (instead of floating) so they're still around to make lots of babies :)

Back
Top Bottom