Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New member to forum

My names Alan. I was given a 65 gallon tank some time ago. Was not really big into fish at the time. Kept mostly cichlids you could buy at neighborhood big box pet supply store. Grew tired of the cichlids and decided to try livebearers.

I did my weekly water changes and tried to do things right. Had a ammonia spike followed by an out break of ich. Lost everything. My tanks hasn't had any fish for about three weeks.I decided to join forum to get advice on starting my tank back up the correct way.

Have never cycled a tank before so I trying to learn as much as possible. Look forward to any help I can get. What I have is a 65 gallon tank with a fluval 306 canister filter. It has a 150 watt heater and artificial plants. I have two airstones in the tank.

Looking forward to the help and advice.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by afullerton View Post
My names Alan. I was given a 65 gallon tank some time ago. Was not really big into fish at the time. Kept mostly cichlids you could buy at neighborhood big box pet supply store. Grew tired of the cichlids and decided to try livebearers.

I did my weekly water changes and tried to do things right. Had a ammonia spike followed by an out break of ich. Lost everything. My tanks hasn't had any fish for about three weeks.I decided to join forum to get advice on starting my tank back up the correct way.

Have never cycled a tank before so I trying to learn as much as possible. Look forward to any help I can get. What I have is a 65 gallon tank with a fluval 306 canister filter. It has a 150 watt heater and artificial plants. I have two airstones in the tank.

Looking forward to the help and advice.
Hi afullerton:

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find the members are very helpful in responding to questions and sharing experiences and advice.

Your first decision will be whether to do a fishless or 'fish-in' cycle. I hope you'll choose fishless; it's more humane. There is a lot of good advice on this forum and on the internet in general. If you Google "fishless aquarium cycling" or something like that you'll get a lot of articles. Basically it involves cycling the tank by adding a source of ammonia to get the beneficial bacteria growing. It's not hard to do, but it takes patience.

When were you planning to start cycling?

-Yorg

Old 12-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello and welcome! Glad you joined us! Glad to answer any questions!

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband
Old 12-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium Is a sticky with well written how-tos that cover both fishless and fish-in cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am going to try fishless cycle. Brought temp in tank up to 80 last night and added a little food. Bought API master test kit today to monitor activity.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com