Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New member / worried

Pretty sure I pulled a noob. Set up my 50 gal tanks Friday past. Used cycle for the first three days as the label says. Introduced 19 fish by Sunday. Danios, cardinals, lamp eye tetras, a blue gourami, and a red tail shark. They all seem to be doing fine but I don't know what to think of my water chemistry. Ph 6.6-6.8 ammonia 1-2 ppm nitrite 0-0.25 ppm nitrate 10-20 ppm. Hard to diferenciate between some of the colora on the color chart ( api master test kit). My water is also cloudy. Is all this normal? When should I do my first water change? Should I be concerned about my ammonia level? Thinking about getting a canister filter tomorrow or the next day. Good idea? Marineland c220. Any I advise/ comments appreciated.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Pretty sure I pulled a noob. Set up my 50 gal tanks Friday past. Used cycle for the first three days as the label says. Introduced 19 fish by Sunday. Danios, cardinals, lamp eye tetras, a blue gourami, and a red tail shark. They all seem to be doing fine but I don't know what to think of my water chemistry. Ph 6.6-6.8 ammonia 1-2 ppm nitrite 0-0.25 ppm nitrate 10-20 ppm. Hard to diferenciate between some of the colora on the color chart ( api master test kit). My water is also cloudy. Is all this normal? When should I do my first water change? Should I be concerned about my ammonia level? Thinking about getting a canister filter tomorrow or the next day. Good idea? Marineland c220. Any I advise/ comments appreciated.
Oh boy lol. Well it's very clear your still cycling. Your ammonia and nitrite are at TOXIC levels so I'd make daily WC's around 20-25% otherwise your fish might possibly perish. Btw adding that many fish at once was too quick. The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom and will clear as your cycle continues. What kind of filter do you have now? And I would go with a Fluval 406, Rena XP3/4, or an Eheim.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

I have a fluval c4 on it now.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Keep the c4 and add the marineland or fluval c360 or eheim 2215.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #5

I've been reading up on the fluval canister filters. Seems like a lot of people have trouble getting them sealed and or keeping them sealed. The marineland c220 had good reviews and is a good price. Although the eheim 2234 looks like a good pic too.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a fluvfluval 306 on my 60 gallon tank and I love it.

But yes your are cycling. You need to change at least 50 percent of the water twice a day. Also you can prime with his each water change to reduce the toxicity of the ammonia and nitrite. (Dose the whole tank for this) It only reduces toxicity for about 24 hours.

The cloudy water is due to bacterial bloom breaking down the fish waste. It will clear on its own. Do not add anything to help clear the water.

Do not add any fish until your ammonia and nitrite readings are consistently zero without water changes.

Do not throw away any filter media. When you clean the filters rinse the media in dechlorinated water.

If you can, try to return some of the fish. That is a high bioload especially for a fish in cycle. You will do best with less fish and then once your cycled you can add a few fish at a time. (1-3 each week).
Old 10-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also the addition of some fast growing stem plants will help speed your cycle.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #8

Thanks. I don't think I can return any of the fish.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Thanks. I don't think I can return any of the fish.
You could always check other LFS ( local fish shops) and se eif they will take them. Or put them on eBay or craiglist.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Update:
-Got a fluval 206 canister filter installed
-Substituted the carbon that came with it for some clear fx pro.
- guy at the fish store gave me sand from the bottom of their tanks.
-done partial water change.

Thanks for your input.

Tags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com