New Oscar Mommy here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harborlily

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I'm a new lover of this hobby. We had a rough start to this hobby like most with a 10 gallon tank and a carnival goldfish. We ended up losing 3 goldfish, 2 BN pleco, 2 cory, and 4 molly. Then I joined fishlore and they helped me save everyone else. Apparently the carnival goldfish had a bacterial infection and ich and it infected everyone in that tank. Now I have a 29 gallon (mid cycle because of the ich medicine) with Mollies, Cories, and one red tail shark. I became well known at the fish store and the kid there gave me a little baby oscar last week that he was told there was no chance of saving. She was torn up and generally looked like she was on death's door. I set up the empty 10 gallon and started her on paraguard and garlic and good food (NLS) and twice daily water changes with some stress guard. She is nearly 100% better. Now I'm looking at tanks for her to permanently live in! I'm leaning towards DIY because I thought it would be cool for my 3 yr old to watch and I'd enjoy learning about it.

About me - I'm a stay at home mom with an almost 3 yr old son and I'm a nursing student. I'm an animal lover with cats (indoor only), and hens and a rooster.

My plan is for a large tank for Audrey (the oscar) and either a raphael catfish or an eartheater :fish2:

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi. Having kept Oscars in the past I have a great fondness for them. I had mine in a 5 foot home made tank and I really think a full grown Oscar needs as long a tank as you can accommodate. They need room to swim and turn. They also seem less destructive when given enough room. I had my second Oscar in that tank at 2", he looked his best and happiest when at about 6". After that I still felt the tank a bit short. They become very large and heavy fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm setting up the 55 gallon tank on Friday for the baby Oscar. I'm so excited!! (She will get a giant tank next year when we move!)

-29 gallon community tank with mollies and corys
-10 gallon temporary tank for a sick baby Oscar named Audrey
-Setting up the 55!!

Hi there harborlily, thanks for joining us! :) Sounds like some fun and exciting tanks you have going! I love Mollies/Cories, and how kind of you to save the Oscar! :) Good luck on the 55g setup! :welcome:

Back
Top Bottom