new poster saying hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouida404

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to say hi. Hoping to find some good info on this forum. It's been awhile since I had a tank. It's a hobby my dad and I shared many years ago when I was a young kid.
My current setup is a 75g tank with an underground filter and two power heads. I had to search many pet stores for an ugf that big. Everyone saying don't do that, but it was what my dad used sucessfully for many years. Anyway I added a 400 emperor bio wheel filter, and 200w heater for christmas, and I think I will need some advice. A lot of advice. I currently only have a blue crawfish in there. If you see my postings, please take a moment to see if you can help me out, i'd so appreciate it. thanks

Welcome!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Trying to add a picture

Just wanted to add a picture to go with my post above. Thanks

Attachments

• 14197785027531.jpg
    14197785027531.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 50
Any fishies in there?

One blue crawfish, I've had for a while in a 5 gallon tank with a lonely betta. He never comes out, just hides. I added the heater and filter so I could have tropical fish. My dad always had angel fish, and silver dollars, but I want to start with colorful but easy fish:)

Rainbows would be great in there..

If I can find them, they would be perfect. Sounds like a good starter fish. I am a little worried all this filteration could cause too much current for some fish. But it seems rainbows may enjoy it. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can adjust down flow on that filter with the gray thinger on intake.. rainbows are very strong swimmers too.. that's probably what has the betta spooked, they prefer calmer waters, you'd be best throwing him in a 5 gal by himself..

The betta is still in the calm waters of the 5g tank. He is my 5y olds pet, and the sole reason she started sleeping in her own bed:)

Great tank! It's beautiful! Crayfish love digging in the sand, and rearranging plants, so I think you have the perfect setup. A very cool setup would be a large group of hatchetfish on the top, and then some nice big fish to take up the middle space. I wouldn't add anything on the bottom because the crayfish will rip it to shreds. Another great setup would be a dwarf puffer and crayfish themed tank, but then you always risk the chance of the crayfish grabbing himself a puffer for dinner. Of course, that wouldn't be too great for the crayfish either because he would end up dying from the tetrodotoxin in the puffers skin would kill him. Hmm.... so many possibilities!

Nils

Beautiful tank. I agree, the Rainbows would be a great colorful and hardy fish. Mine love current. On fact the all come swimming when I am adding water and put them selves under the stream. It's quite cute.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes that crawfish has made a mess out of the bottom of my tank, but once he gets things to his liking, he stays to himself. Right now I'm trying to decide what fish I should slowly get. I really want the neon tetras and the rainbows also look good. I've heard mix reviews about how hardy the neons are, but I always find myself watching them in the pet store. In the end I want fish that can handle my mistakes:) and not go belly up. I will take a look at the hatchetfish too. Thanks

Yes that crawfish has made a mess out of the bottom of my tank, but once he gets things to his liking, he stays to himself. Right now I'm trying to decide what fish I should slowly get. I really want the neon tetras and the rainbows also look good. I've heard mix reviews about how hardy the neons are, but I always find myself watching them in the pet store. In the end I want fish that can handle my mistakes:) and not go belly up. I will take a look at the hatchetfish too. Thanks

How about Cardinal Tetras? A bit bigger than neons, but hardier and look almost the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cardinal Tetras would be a great idea, if I can find them. I've been looking at fish online all day, and it's so much information. This forum has been incredibly helpful. I can't wait to see that first fish swimming around in there. Any ideas are welcomed, and greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom