New Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adow2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all just bought my first aquarium! I chose a Fluval Chi 19L. My idea was introduce a pet to my little 2 yr old girl and 4 month old boy, and was going to get a traditional goldfish bowl and a couple of goldfish! then thought I would like the challenge of setting up a small aquarium. I'm on day 3 now and I'm planning on introducing a couple of fish to the tank tomorrow. Seems like a lot to think of!!

Any advice welcome ;)

Hi has the tank cycled? Or are you doing a fish cycle?? Lots of threads and info in here about how to cycle and the implications on not cycling the tank and also stick limits on sizes of tank and stocking etc

Hi, thanks for quick reply! I've been reading a fair bit in the last couple of days, my plan (although I'm open to suggestions) is to introduce a couple of hardy fish to start the cycle, testing the water each day to monitor it, then when levels are 0 I'll introduce a couple more fish. Not sure which will be best suited in tank but quite like the mountain clouds and some of the smaller gold fish. I'm thinking that I'll prob get between 5-9 fish for the size of the tank.

Up to you how you cycle but when I first started off I did a fish cycle ( didn't know any different) and the amount of money spent and heartbreak ( the wife got quite attached) was not worth it a few years later and I bought a new tank did a fishless cycle and was great few years later and I actually went to a lfs and asked them for a bag of pre cured filter media and just popped that straight in to my new tank which was the easiest by far asking as the stocking was very slow and steady, I'm sure some more people will have links on here etc but I'm on iPhone at the minute and can't find the links as easily

Thanks for the advice I'll try an have a search on the forums for the links on fishless cycles. I don't want too upset my two little ones while setting it up!!

We started off with fancy goldfish during the cycle there fins fell off and they just bobbed around it was appalling that was with water changes once twice a day sometimes they just got sk stressed it was inhumane at the time and until I started reading forums and not listening to the big chains I didn't know there was any other way! Keepin fish is just one huge learning curve one that I don't think anyone ever gets on top of as there is so many things that are updated an new research etc

Cheers for the advice, I'll definitely have a look at other threads on how to start a fishless cycle.

Not only do we recommend fishless cycling because it's the only humane way, but you especially should fishless cycle because if your fish die, your children will be devastated.
Here's another link:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Any type or size of goldfish is completely unacceptable for your tank. Really, the only fish appropriate for the footprint of the Chi is a betta.

Welcome to AA.

Here is an idea someone used when putting up a tank for their child they taped a picture of the fish on the tank and moved it up a little further each day until the tank was cycled then went and got a fish. It kept them interested in the right way to set up a tank.

Do a Betta. Rescue a cup Betta from the pet store. Your kids will like the color better anyway.

Back
Top Bottom