New Starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisher1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi My name is Phil and I have just gone from my first cold water to my first tropical tank :-?

I am enjoying the tank despite an initial outbreak of white spot that has now cleared up. I assume my fish are happy as I currently have some baby danio's hiding under the rocks!!

My only problem I have is finding the best way to clean the fllor of the aquarium as it is sand based rather than gravel. That is what brought me here today so any advice would be appreciated. :)

Happy fish keeping one and all,

Phil <))))<

Welcome message

Thanks I look forward to a long relationship with this website!!!! :)

Hi My name is Phil and I have just gone from my first cold water to my first tropical tank :-?

I am enjoying the tank despite an initial outbreak of white spot that has now cleared up. I assume my fish are happy as I currently have some baby danio's hiding under the rocks!!

My only problem I have is finding the best way to clean the fllor of the aquarium as it is sand based rather than gravel. That is what brought me here today so any advice would be appreciated. :)

Happy fish keeping one and all,

Phil <))))<

Phil, buy a turkey baster at the grocery store and designate it for your aquarium use only. Assuming that you use a phython system for your water changes....use the baster to "blow out" the waste from the areas that you can't get the gravel tube in before starting your siphon. If you start at one end of the tank and work your way to the other, most of the debris should be at that end when you are done. From there, it's just a matter of getting used to holding the tube at the right distance above the sand to suck up the debris but leave the sand behind. You will, of course, suck some sand up and will over time have to add some more sand every several months or so. But, with a little time and practice, you'll get good at getting very little sand in your drain!

Welcome to AA. Good advice in the above post, a lot of us use sand. I wave my python around and even dig it down in the sand and pull it up before the sand gets sucked too far up the tube.

Back
Top Bottom