New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhsoto94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I've just recently started a tank again and the ph its way to high. I was wondering any tips to lower it without chemicals. I already have driftwood in it. Also I bout some plants from my lfs and they don't seem to be doing well . They came in a little plastic pot with some sort of cushion. Do they require there own substrate? Light is onl on 6-8 hrs a day

I remove the pots and bury them with sponge sometimes without. U could get pH down at a pet store or add some limestone, either straight to tank or as a gravel in a bag in ur filter! Cut light to max 6 hours or u will get algae

Sent from my C6903 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You think the plants would do fine in sand? And thanks I'll try some limestone I try to stay away from ph down because it is only a temporary fix doesn't really maintain the ph down for too long

Big prob With sand is the ammonia cannot escape and builds up toxic gases. If you pull up your plants then they release the toxins and u Can say buy buy fishies. Pool filter sand is a bit thicker and should work a bit better, allowing a bit of circulation in the substrate

I actually have pool filter sand in my tank I just read that it doesn't provide much nutrient for the plants and they have trouble rooting so I was think about mixing it maybe or trying something else

I'm super keen to experiment with dirt. You could mix a fine gravel through it and the layer of.sand on top. Eventually fish poo with get Down and feed them in gravel but maybe not sand. I've been using fertiliser but dirt is meant to just be soooo much better with layer of filter sand over that should.be tops

Above someone mentioned adding limestone Terrible wrong advice! Limestone will raise your PH. Driftwood will only do so much to lower your PH and as stated the chemicals are really not very stable or reliable. The best way is to mix your water with RO water. You can control your PH better and easier. The problem is probably your water to begin with. Some rocks will raise your PH as well do you have any in there?

Yea I tested the tap water I put in and that's high to begin with and also tried drinking water but that was also high so I don't really know what to do.

Pc1 is right sorry. Was late at night and got my values wrong. Limestone will make the water more alkaline raising pH value. U want more water acidic water. U could add peat to ur filter to naturally lower pH value!

Back
Top Bottom