New Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fish in question appears to be a rose line shark or Denison barb.
I used black matte acrylic paint and a foam brush. For my 20 g long, it took 5-6 coats with a drying time of 30-45 min per coat. I love the result. Really no fumes to worry about. I did run a fan between coats. You just need to give yourself enough room to work behind the tank and tape off the sides. I was not too concerned about paint getting onto the rim.
I've attended several PVAS meetings (Potomac Vally Aquarium Society) and JRAS is occasionally mentioned.

Thanks so much, you're a wealth of information! I've decided to stick to tetras; they bring a lot of energy vibrancy to the tank. I like the ones with flashes of red that show up well against the greenery. I just need to decide on which ones.

Acrylic paint can be removed with rubbing alcohol if you ever decide you want to remove the paint.

Petsmart has 2 types of plants in tubes. Aquatic and Semi aquatic. Look for needle or narrow leaf Java Fern. You attach it to rocks or driftwood with string. It doesn't like being buried. It grows well in low light and gets some height too. View attachment 292277

I am looking into getting some java fern, I think a plant growing on some of my driftwood would look nice. And I didn't even notice the difference between the tubes at Petsmart - my bad! Haha.

Coursair- What is the fish in your photo with the red streak? Is it a tetra? I've been rethinking about getting the angelfish and would like some more tetras that have red in them like my bloodfins.

Fresh- I thought about just painting it! Seems like much less hassle. The fumes may cause a problem though to a tank that already has fish in it? And thanks so much for the info! I've looked them up and their website itself is a wealth of information and resources. I will definitely attend some of their meetings.

Yes, it is a Roseline aka
Denison Barb
(Sahyadria denisonii)

Mine came from my local Petsmart. Mine are in a 55g. That's about min size I'd give them. Old ones are hefty.

In your quest for red colored tetras, be wary of serape tetras. Pretty and nippy. Ember tetras are smaller, orangish, and peaceful. Red phantom tetras are peaceful as well. Neon and cardinal tetras have striking red coloration on the sides.

In your quest for red colored tetras, be wary of serape tetras. Pretty and nippy. Ember tetras are smaller, orangish, and peaceful. Red phantom tetras are peaceful as well. Neon and cardinal tetras have striking red coloration on the sides.

Serape = Serpae. Spell check loves fish names LOL

Tank updates! Got some more plants. Cleaned the branches (they keep getting that slimy whiteish algae) and did a 20% pwc. I have been dosing 1 cap of Flourish Excel every other day.
IMG_4542.JPGIMG_4545.JPGIMG_4543.JPG

The introduction forum is for just that introductions and welcome , not for tank discussion please bring this discussion down to the proper forum

thank you
seaweed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom