New tank person

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did cycle my tank and I'm getting a heater ASAP!!!!! Thanks

Also it appears you only have 1 dwarf gourami, and the other is normal sized. Y advice for you is keep the dwarf gourami (red one/smaller one)
Dwarf gourami's are generally peaceful, but normal gourami's are aggressive killing machines as they grow up. They will eat your tetras and guppies. Keep the dwarf gourami. Also you can't have 2 gourami's in a 10 gallon.

For tetras get at least 5. For guppies keep the two you have, my males get along fine too. Keep the dwarf gourami. Tank seems overstocked. What filter are you running.

I know this sounds soon, but yiu need to upgrade your tank. Since yiur fish are still babies not now. But in a few months you will need bigger tank
Neons (5) (2inches)= 10 gallons
Guppy (2) (2-3 inches) = 5 gallons
Dwarf gourami (1) (2-3) = 3 gallons

Your going to need a 18+ gallon tank when they are full grown.

Also it appears you only have 1 dwarf gourami, and the other is normal sized. Y advice for you is keep the dwarf gourami (red one/smaller one)
Dwarf gourami's are generally peaceful, but normal gourami's are aggressive killing machines as they grow up. They will eat your tetras and guppies. Keep the dwarf gourami. Also you can't have 2 gourami's in a 10 gallon.

For tetras get at least 5. For guppies keep the two you have, my males get along fine too. Keep the dwarf gourami. Tank seems overstocked. What filter are you running.

I know this sounds soon, but yiu need to upgrade your tank. Since yiur fish are still babies not now. But in a few months you will need bigger tank
Neons (5) (2inches)= 10 gallons
Guppy (2) (2-3 inches) = 5 gallons
Dwarf gourami (1) (2-3) = 3 gallons

Your going to need a 18+ gallon tank when they are full grown.

Both of the gouramis in the tank are the dwarf variety. One appears to be a neon blue while the other looks like a flame dwarf. The normal variety of gourami are still peaceful but they do tend to get pretty big and since fish eat what can fit in their mouth it can be an issue. However I definitely wouldn't label them as aggressive killing machines. Two together in one small tank will fight however.

As for the tank stocking check out AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

The inch per gallon rule is a bit outdated and was originally developed for tanks back in the 60s without running any sort of proper equipment. That rule has been obsolete for a few decades now but for some reason it just refuses to die. For example: I have 6 cardinal tetras, 6 panda corys, and a betta in a 10g tank which are all fully grown. Using the inch / gallon rule I would need about a 30g tank to successfully house them but I have them in there with no aggression, sickness, high nitrate levels or even a single fish death sine the tank was set up in May (not counting a sick cardinal tetra I received). When using aqadvisor I am only at 117% of my total stocking level.

As for the rest of the stocking suggestions, I heartily agree with rehoming 1 gourami, increasing the school of tetras to 5+, and keep the guppies the way they are.

Male guppies will usually be just fine in a tank with just other male guppies.

Ok great! What size do I need of a tank???? This is a 12 gallon. And I only have 8 fish. I just feel stupid for buying all those fish. I don't have another tank

Ok great! What size do I need of a tank???? This is a 12 gallon. And I only have 8 fish. I just feel stupid for buying all those fish. I don't have another tank

You're fine sticking with your 12 gallon. Just take a gourami out. Return it to the store. Sell it on the internet. Something.

Then you can increase the number of neons you have.. I would go with 7 or 8 total. The guppies I would leave alone with the couple you have.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I'm am actually giving my blue one back tomorrow with my dad. I'll get more neons too I have three right now. Should I get 2 more?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I'm am actually giving my blue one back tomorrow with my dad. I'll get more neons too I have three right now. Should I get 2 more?

Get at the very least 2 more. 6 is the most common "small school" size I've heard of, if I were you I'd get 4 or 5 more

I think I will get three because I have three now and that's the limit of my tank! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom