New tank person

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mkeuper6361

Aquarium Advice Regular
I everyone! I am a beginner at aquariums so bare with me! I have a 12 gallon tank and have fish in there already (it's been going for 3 weeks now). I wanted to know what places I could get cleaning supplies, heaters, and bubblers and which types. Post pictures of what you guys think is helpful/useful if possible!

Almost everything I have was from Amazon (check reviews), and some from PetSmart. Welcome! :)

I have two fancy guppies, two 2 inch fish (don't know name) and 3 neon small .5 inch tetras. I do water changes every week.

Thanks! I am definitely getting stuff for Christmas! (Don't tell mom!!!) <- lol but I am just wondering what I should get

I have two fancy guppies, two 2 inch fish (don't know name) and 3 neon small .5 inch tetras. I do water changes every week.

We may be able to help you id your mystery fish, can you post a picture or write a detailed description?
Welcome to AA!!

Here you go! And do I have more room for fish or not???

Attachments

• image-2535286329.jpg
    image-2535286329.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image-4014102726.jpg
    image-4014102726.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 58
First one is a Flame Gourami , second is a dwarf Gourami!

Im not an expert on stocking, but i would re home one gourami, and get a few more neon tetras (i think thats the small tetra you mentioned) they are schooling fish and like a group of 6+

And as for your guppies, I'm guessing they are both male? (They would have super bright colors, and if you google male guppy and female guppy you can see the difference, males have a pointed bottom fin, and females have a fanned bottom fin) if they are both male, they will probably fight. If this gets too much for one or both to take, i would consider some females to keep them occupied.

I hope this helps!

On the tag at the store, it said those exact fish (tetras) don't school. 3 is a great number it said! I'm not even joking!!!! Also the guppies aren't fighting from my observations.TRUST ME. I have been seriously observing them and they are so peaceful! They swim by each other and don't do anything... I'm curious why I should move one of the g fish(forgot!) plus I don't have another tank! Oh help me!

Let's find out about your tetras first ;) would you mind posting a picture?
And a picture of your guppies will help me tell you if you have boys or girls (or a pair!)
Hopefully someone with Gourami expirence can help you with yours.....

Not the best camera person!

Attachments

• image-3970873293.jpg
    image-3970873293.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1404891906.jpg
    image-1404891906.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image-1890369213.jpg
    image-1890369213.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2371280936.jpg
    image-2371280936.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 56
  • image-53608624.jpg
    image-53608624.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 49
Not the best camera person!

Hahaha thats ok!

Looks like you have two male guppies, 3-4 neon tetras, and the two gouramies i mentioned earlier!

So from here you have the guppies and the gouramies that are both top middle/ top water column swimmers. If you could re home one gourami, ( to a friend or back to the store and i would wait until someone with more gourami experience can help you before deciding which one to keep)
After rehoming a gourami you could (ONLY if you want to have some fry (babies)) get two to three females for each male. So 4-6 females total. Only if you want to.
I would not recommend just one female by herself, the males would gang up on her and stress her out a ton :(
With two or three females to keep each male's attention you have a much lower risk or stressing the females out.

And again only get female guppies (normally are labeled as female in chain pet stores) if
A) the males beat each other up , or
B) you want to

From there you have the neon tetras, which are a schooling fish (i think you had 3 -4?)
If i remember correctly they are middle water column swimmers, so they have little to no competition with your guppies/gourami. I would get a few more, because sadly the pet store was wrong. Three is a "school" but not quite to the degree that the tetras need :/ , i would look into getting them a couple more friends :)

Edit: The water column is important because if you had a tank with a bunch of gouramies in it, they would all fight for the upper column of water space, which is where they naturally live and swim. Same goes for the tetras in the middle column and if you had a bottom dweller as well.

I don't want fry at all sadly!!!! (Mom won't allow it!) and I love both of my gourami!!!!! Why exactly do I need to get rid of one? And do I have more room to get more tetras without loosing a Gourami? I am totally capable of getting more tetras if I have more room. Pet-smart is scamming me! I'm totally confused by them! Grrrrrrrrr

I don't want fry at all sadly!!!! (Mom won't allow it!) and I love both of my gourami!!!!! Why exactly do I need to get rid of one? And do I have more room to get more tetras without loosing a Gourami? I am totally capable of getting more tetras if I have more room. Pet-smart is scamming me! I'm totally confused by them! Grrrrrrrrr

As I have said , i don't know much about gourami, but they are generally a "one gourami" mentality
And aggression may become a problem as they mature.

Gourami's are similar to bettas, males will fight if not enough room. Your tank is too small for two gourami's in my opinion. Males will stress out and fight females if they don't have enough space either.

Remove one gourami. Add more neons. Two male gouramis will eventually fight. Not right away, but after a while when they establish territories, they will fight. They get injured and get infections easily. Not a good idea.

By the way, it sounds like you didn't cycle your tank before you started. It also sounds like you're running your tank without a heater. Both of these are bad things.

Back
Top Bottom