Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorgan1848 View Post
Yeah it is coming out at zero so I was hoping I'm doing it right...yeah its very addictive my unce has a 90 gallon I'm gonna take off his hands when he figures out what he is doing with his pacus
Sounds like somebody ought to set up a Malawi Hap tank.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Yeah it is coming out at zero so I was hoping I'm doing it right...yeah its very addictive my unce has a 90 gallon I'm gonna take off his hands when he figures out what he is doing with his pacus
With the tank just set up you won't be seeing nitrates for a little while. The ammonia and nitrite readings are the ones that are going to matter to you for a while.

Next thing I should mention is that mollies are too large of a fish for a 10g tank. You might want to rehome them before things get out of hand.

I suggest taking a look at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for recommended tank sizes for fish.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well Mollies only grow 3 inches so I'm sure it will be fine in a 10 gallon tank
Old 12-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

With the tank just set up you won't be seeing nitrates for a little while. The ammonia and nitrite readings are the ones that are going to matter to you for a whille
Here my thought. If the nitrate levels are still reading 0 then the tank isn't cycled, or the test is wrong. I'm WAY over focused on this right now because it just bit me in the butt.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Actually they get to 5 - 6 inches in length. 30g really is the recommended minimum for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyfou View Post

Here my thought. If the nitrate levels are still reading 0 then the tank isn't cycled, or the test is wrong. I'm WAY over focused on this right now because it just bit me in the butt.
It's not really worth it to bother testing nitrates until you are getting a reading of 0 on both ammonia. As long as you are doing water changes to keep them both below .5ppm then the nitrates won't build up high enough.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd like to here more input on that part of the cycling. I'm setting up a whole fishless tank to monitor this kind of thing. Why you ask? Because, I love that kind of stuff.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bet your Mickey Mouse is actually a platy which has a max size of 2.5 inches. I've seen a lot of shops label the Mollies and platies the same. I've been meaning to read more about that.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No I ment platty
Old 12-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It isn't just the exact size of Mollies, it is the fact that even a 3" fish needs more swimming room than a 10g. They are very active , messy fish. All Livebearers (Mollies, Platies and Guppies ) have Large bioloads for their size. They poop a LOT.
Also in small tanks Mollies often turn into murderous Bullies !! In 30g+ they are more peaceful, but IME I still consider them Semi Aggressive esp around food.

Mollies are Not suited to 10g tanks for long term. Even short term can end in death.

The inch per gallon rule is old and causes a lot of fish abuse. By that "rule" you could put a 10" Oscar in a 10g.

I've had tanks since I was 12. I'm a mature woman now. I've also worked in fish stores over the years.

I don't mean to sound harsh , I just really want your tank to be successful and your fish to live and THRIVE !!

If you want to keep the Platy ? I'd probably only put 2 Platies in a 10g.

I like more fish, so I use Nano fish in most of my small tanks. I don't mix big fish with them.

I stock Celestial Pearl Danios 5-7 and
Red Cherry Shrimp

Or look at Ember Tetras or Micro Rasbora species. Embers may hunt Shrimp.

Tiny Cories like C pygmaeus can work also.

I use lots of live plants.
Check your lighting and post what type or start a new thread in the FW planted tank section for help with plants/lights/Ferts.

It's so exciting to get a new tank
I hope you get to enjoy it for many years. Please read the forum and keep learning.

I learn something new everyday

Regards Tina
member San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society
Need to join SFAS someday as well
Coursair Whippets ( my other hobby)
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
It isn't just the exact size of Mollies, it is the fact that even a 3" fish needs more swimming room than a 10g. They are very active , messy fish. All Livebearers (Mollies, Platies and Guppies ) have Large bioloads for their size. They poop a LOT.
Also in small tanks Mollies often turn into murderous Bullies !! In 30g+ they are more peaceful, but IME I still consider them Semi Aggressive esp around food.

Mollies are Not suited to 10g tanks for long term. Even short term can end in death.

The inch per gallon rule is old and causes a lot of fish abuse. By that "rule" you could put a 10" Oscar in a 10g.

I've had tanks since I was 12. I'm a mature woman now. I've also worked in fish stores over the years.

I don't mean to sound harsh , I just really want your tank to be successful and your fish to live and THRIVE !!

If you want to keep the Platy ? I'd probably only put 2 Platies in a 10g.

I like more fish, so I use Nano fish in most of my small tanks. I don't mix big fish with them.

I stock Celestial Pearl Danios 5-7 and
Red Cherry Shrimp

Or look at Ember Tetras or Micro Rasbora species. Embers may hunt Shrimp.

Tiny Cories like C pygmaeus can work also.

I use lots of live plants.
Check your lighting and post what type or start a new thread in the FW planted tank section for help with plants/lights/Ferts.

It's so exciting to get a new tank
I hope you get to enjoy it for many years. Please read the forum and keep learning.

I learn something new everyday

Regards Tina
member San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society
Need to join SFAS someday as well
Coursair Whippets ( my other hobby)
^
A very good post. You would have a much happier tank if you chose stock appropriate for a 10 gallon. The Celestial pearl danios are a good choice. They are a very attractive fish. And who doesn't enjoy shrimp?

Tags
advice, new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com