new tanker looking for any helpful advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptMorgan1848

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys new to the forum and to ra king all together...me and my wife and daughter have our first 10 gallon tank. We have a dalmation Mollie a mucky mouse Molly and a cerpaete5ra along with a nice little variety of live plants. Here because I'm new to this all and all ready for Amy helpful tips advice and thought. Thanks

If you have male and female mollies they will breed like rats and will have 20 - 40 babies

Not sure if my Molly is male or female but at the moment it is just the one

Did you get one of those siphon hoses with the gravel vac on it? They are a must. A couple of 5 gallon buckets from Lowes are nice to have too.

They eat the babies if you don't stop them from doing it so it's not a huge deal, but your daughter might get upset if she sees it. I got one of the in tank breeding boxes, and I save a few babies every once in a while. I explained to my daughter that sometimes we just let the others eat them, and that it's part of how they live.

^^Everything said there is completely correct, but don't let that scare you off from the forum. We can make what you've got work. It's just going to take a little work and love.

The API test kit is cool. You definitely want one. My daughter loves doing the water tests, and it's a great intro to chemistry. How old is your daughter if you don't mind me asking? Mine is 7. It took some practice, and a couple of broken test tubes, but she is an expert at this now.

Early on your going to have to change part of the water very often. It's not hard in a 10 gallon once you have that hose, and 2 clean buckets. Have you done a water change yet? How long has the tank been up? Once things get rolling you won't have to change the water as often. There is some pretty fierce debate about how often that is, but by that time you'll have you own opinions and test data to guide you.

Oh yeah I just got done with my third water change and I have a water testing kit...my daughter is only two now so she isn't really at the helping stage yet....I mean everything I have read domes to be happening right in the tankand the fish I already have tanked have been just fine during the cyclying process minus the moly having a swim bladder issue...I just do.t have any help minus taking anything petsmart says and doing the opposite just nice to have a place to go for help

Well you are cruising right along then, and I suspect you have good taste in booze:)

What nitrate reading are you getting? If it's coming out as zero all the time reread the directions. I mention this because I just realized this weekend that I've botched that test all along.

I also found that I got hooked quick when I started playing with this again. It didn't take me long to start getting more and bigger tanks. Craigslist is awesome and evil at the same time;)

Yeah it is coming out at zero so I was hoping I'm doing it right...yeah its very addictive my unce has a 90 gallon I'm gonna take off his hands when he figures out what he is doing with his pacus

Sounds like your on the same track I was on just a few months ago.

If you reread the directions on the nitrate test you'll see that it says to shake bottle 2 hard for 30 seconds. If you don't the test will always come out as 0, and mislead you into thinking you're awesome.

I've got a 75G I need to pick up from a friend. I wasn't planning to do that till later, but I got some free fish that really need the space.

Yeah it is coming out at zero so I was hoping I'm doing it right...yeah its very addictive my unce has a 90 gallon I'm gonna take off his hands when he figures out what he is doing with his pacus

Sounds like somebody ought to set up a Malawi Hap tank. :brows:

protomelas_steveni_taiwan_03.jpg
(y)

With the tank just set up you won't be seeing nitrates for a little while. The ammonia and nitrite readings are the ones that are going to matter to you for a while.

Next thing I should mention is that mollies are too large of a fish for a 10g tank. You might want to rehome them before things get out of hand.

I suggest taking a look at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for recommended tank sizes for fish.

Well Mollies only grow 3 inches so I'm sure it will be fine in a 10 gallon tank

With the tank just set up you won't be seeing nitrates for a little while. The ammonia and nitrite readings are the ones that are going to matter to you for a whille

Here my thought. If the nitrate levels are still reading 0 then the tank isn't cycled, or the test is wrong. I'm WAY over focused on this right now because it just bit me in the butt.

Actually they get to 5 - 6 inches in length. 30g really is the recommended minimum for them.

Here my thought. If the nitrate levels are still reading 0 then the tank isn't cycled, or the test is wrong. I'm WAY over focused on this right now because it just bit me in the butt.

It's not really worth it to bother testing nitrates until you are getting a reading of 0 on both ammonia. As long as you are doing water changes to keep them both below .5ppm then the nitrates won't build up high enough.

I'd like to here more input on that part of the cycling. I'm setting up a whole fishless tank to monitor this kind of thing. Why you ask? Because, I love that kind of stuff.

I bet your Mickey Mouse is actually a platy which has a max size of 2.5 inches. I've seen a lot of shops label the Mollies and platies the same. I've been meaning to read more about that.

It isn't just the exact size of Mollies, it is the fact that even a 3" fish needs more swimming room than a 10g. They are very active , messy fish. All Livebearers (Mollies, Platies and Guppies ) have Large bioloads for their size. They poop a LOT.
Also in small tanks Mollies often turn into murderous Bullies !! In 30g+ they are more peaceful, but IME I still consider them Semi Aggressive esp around food.

Mollies are Not suited to 10g tanks for long term. Even short term can end in death.

The inch per gallon rule is old and causes a lot of fish abuse. By that "rule" you could put a 10" Oscar in a 10g.

I've had tanks since I was 12. I'm a mature woman now. I've also worked in fish stores over the years.

I don't mean to sound harsh , I just really want your tank to be successful and your fish to live and THRIVE !!

If you want to keep the Platy ? I'd probably only put 2 Platies in a 10g.

I like more fish, so I use Nano fish in most of my small tanks. I don't mix big fish with them.

I stock Celestial Pearl Danios 5-7 and
Red Cherry Shrimp

Or look at Ember Tetras or Micro Rasbora species. Embers may hunt Shrimp.

Tiny Cories like C pygmaeus can work also.

I use lots of live plants.
Check your lighting and post what type or start a new thread in the FW planted tank section for help with plants/lights/Ferts.

It's so exciting to get a new tank :)
I hope you get to enjoy it for many years. Please read the forum and keep learning.

I learn something new everyday

Regards Tina
member San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society
Need to join SFAS someday as well :)
Coursair Whippets ( my other hobby)

It isn't just the exact size of Mollies, it is the fact that even a 3" fish needs more swimming room than a 10g. They are very active , messy fish. All Livebearers (Mollies, Platies and Guppies ) have Large bioloads for their size. They poop a LOT.
Also in small tanks Mollies often turn into murderous Bullies !! In 30g+ they are more peaceful, but IME I still consider them Semi Aggressive esp around food.

Mollies are Not suited to 10g tanks for long term. Even short term can end in death.

The inch per gallon rule is old and causes a lot of fish abuse. By that "rule" you could put a 10" Oscar in a 10g.

I've had tanks since I was 12. I'm a mature woman now. I've also worked in fish stores over the years.

I don't mean to sound harsh , I just really want your tank to be successful and your fish to live and THRIVE !!

If you want to keep the Platy ? I'd probably only put 2 Platies in a 10g.

I like more fish, so I use Nano fish in most of my small tanks. I don't mix big fish with them.

I stock Celestial Pearl Danios 5-7 and
Red Cherry Shrimp

Or look at Ember Tetras or Micro Rasbora species. Embers may hunt Shrimp.

Tiny Cories like C pygmaeus can work also.

I use lots of live plants.
Check your lighting and post what type or start a new thread in the FW planted tank section for help with plants/lights/Ferts.

It's so exciting to get a new tank :)
I hope you get to enjoy it for many years. Please read the forum and keep learning.

I learn something new everyday

Regards Tina
member San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society
Need to join SFAS someday as well :)
Coursair Whippets ( my other hobby)

^
A very good post. You would have a much happier tank if you chose stock appropriate for a 10 gallon. The Celestial pearl danios are a good choice. They are a very attractive fish. And who doesn't enjoy shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom