new (thanks to Sharkweek)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teply

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey so been watching sharkweek all week now and have been growimg more and more into the fascination in underwater life and ecosystem. Im lookig at starting my own aquarium hoping to design it as a semi-self-sufficient aquarium ecosystem. I want it to provide a food chain (though I do plan to still feed bigger fish that is difficult for a 60 gallon ecosystem to support on its own.) Also I plan to do partial water changes to keep down nitrate levels but do want plants and moss that can lower the levels and want algae eaters instead of cleaning the algae (wanting a close to natural ecosystem) but still very much in the planning stages. I joined this forum hoping for help om my journey and to help others learn fro, my journey as well.

Welcome to AA!

Good to have another person fascinated by tanks, I have 4 tanks right now, I have what you call MTS(multiple tank syndrome) is your tank going to be freshwater or saltwater
Welcome to AA!

Looking at freshwater, I know this is going to be a challenge but freshwater should make it a bit easier. Hopefully I stay dedicated amd can work my way up to making a saltwater tank that can include small sharks but thats a ways away.

Ok, then good thing, i know about freshwater

I can help you with pretty much anything regarding your tank, from fish selection, to tank maintenance, to plants! I have live plants, and I have to say, I don't regret it at all, it loom natural, and helps keep your water parameters in check, plants actually help reduce ammonia
You know that you have to cycle your tank right?

Awesome, I know Im also lookig at tropical freshwater if you know , uch about that. And I do know that, haven't got too far ito maintenance yer so I dont exactly know what I hae to do , bt I have heard the term.

Welcome to AA. Shark week is awesome an I'm glad to see a new face here, any questions, then ask away. I've been in the hobby for 4 years with FW and SW. As for fish, I have a few suggestions to start with. Angels are natural predators an are pretty to look at, Otos are the best algae eaters around

I have so many questions dont know where to start, I will say I'm really fascinated with bottom feeders especially catfish. Also looking at maybe breeding brine shrimp separately (dont believe they breed in freshwater) but minus that and some other food would like most food to be grown in the aquarium

Yay, another catfish lover!

I have Raphael cats in my 55 and 29 gallons, I've had Cory cats, banjo cats, bumble bee cats, African feather fin catfish, and when I had my 300 monster tank, I had a red tailed catfish
It's a good idea to grow your food, but for some fish, food like flakes and pellets are best

I have so many questions dont know where to start, I will say I'm really fascinated with bottom feeders especially catfish. Also looking at maybe breeding brine shrimp separately (dont believe they breed in freshwater) but minus that and some other food would like most food to be grown in the aquarium

Hmm, that's more SW there. Alage can be cultured in bins an such haha. There are plenty of cats, such as the African feather fin, pictus, Raphael, and Cory's of course

Yeah the Rafael and pictus were my favorite catfish so far

Yay, another catfish lover!

I have Raphael cats in my 55 and 29 gallons, I've had Cory cats, banjo cats, bumble bee cats, African feather fin catfish, and when I had my 300 monster tank, I had a red tailed catfish
It's a good idea to grow your food, but for some fish, food like flakes and pellets are best

What kinds of food would you recommend growing for the catfish? And yeah i plan to have other food as well.

I feed mine brine shrimp, and sometimes bloodworms, not all the time though, as well as the ovation all zucchini as a treat

Yeah I heard about bloodworms. Would they grow in the tank or how would that work? Also what about small fish?

Cool, what about plants? I dot want to overwhelm the bottom feeders but want some live plants as well. Should I stick with java moss or are there others I can use?

Cool, what about plants? I dot want to overwhelm the bottom feeders but want some live plants as well. Should I stick with java moss or are there others I can use?

Java mood, fern, Anubis, are good basic low lights

Cool, I've heard a lot anout java moss and fern but will check out java mood and anubis. What are good small fish that a catfish could eat bt would also be able to breed and feed off algae and shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom