Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to AA and keen to learn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390693767.256726.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	218829
Hey AA I'm new here a and to the fish scene. I am super keen to learn all I can about keeping fish.
I have a 80 Litre (21 Gallon) planted tropical freshwater tank. With 6 guppies. So far the tank is going well. My ammonia level was at 0.50ppm and I have just done a 30% water change so hopefully that will help bring it down.
If anyone has and advice I am super keen to learn so please feel free to share your knowledge with me.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to AA!
A 30% water change would bring your ammonia levels to about .25. Do you use Prime water conditioner? This would help bind any remaining toxins in the water for up to 48 hours. Did you cycle the tank before adding the guppies?

Old 01-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome ! Love your tank.
What plants are in your tank? And are you using a liquid test kit & testing for nitrite & nitrate?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #4

Hey Greta 1981 and Rodeo one,

I am not using prime at the moment. Currently I am using Stability which seems to be working well.
I did a water change yesterday as I mentioned and I tested my water today and got the following readings:
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite is up above 2.0ppm
Ph 7ish
Nitrate is about 5.0ppm
Are these readings looking good? Does it matter if the Nitrite has spiked?
I unfortunately did not cycle the tank before adding the guppies. I waited about a week as recommend by the LFS I must admit I'm not the most patient person so I have to work on that.
I have an API liquid test kit I wish there was a digital one or maybe there is?
The plants are blue strictas I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Those nitrite levels are lethal to fish. You need to do a 50% water change immediately, wait no more than 2 hours, and then do a second 50% change. This is absolutely critical. Yes, your tank is cycling for sure and the numbers look good in that sense but your fish are in major danger right now from those levels.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

For some reason, I can't edit my last post. I would strongly recommend Prime. Stability doesn't protect against toxins in the water and when you're fish-in cycling, this is critical. After the tank is cycled, any water conditioner will be fine, but for the health of your fish, I'd get Prime ASAP. Unfortunately, no, there is no API digital test.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad you have the test kit & you re testing. Digital would be awesome, testing is a pain the @$&, I WISH there was one!
Keep doing water changes, read up on 'Fish in cycling' & you ll be fine. Also, don t add any more fish until the tank is stable & then add very slowly. Best of luck, you re off to a good start.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice Gretta I will buy some Prime ASAP. I am also using Biotec WATER AGER CN as well as Stability.
50% water change done so I will check the water levels again in 2hrs.
Keep the advice coming. Thanks guys and girls.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

My recommendation--when you get the Prime, just use that. No need for any other product at all, as it does everything. Less is more when it comes to chemicals added to aquariums.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #10

Plants aren't going to grow well with those giant rocks you're using as gravel, unfortunately. You would have been better off with a planted substrate like Florite.

As someone else mentioned, your ammonia and nitrite levels are too high. You shouldn't cycle with fish in the tank, ideally, you should do it with a bottle of pure ammonia and an eye dropper.

Keep up the frequent water changes. See if you can get Tetra Safestart in your country. I can't get it in mine but you can get it in the US. It's much better than what you're using now at getting the biofilter going.

Or, even better, see if you can get your hands on a large volume of cycled biomedia from someone else's tank. Maybe your local retailer will give you some.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com