New to AA and keen to learn.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikonik_rich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390693767.256726.jpg
Hey AA I'm new here a and to the fish scene. I am super keen to learn all I can about keeping fish.
I have a 80 Litre (21 Gallon) planted tropical freshwater tank. With 6 guppies. So far the tank is going well. My ammonia level was at 0.50ppm and I have just done a 30% water change so hopefully that will help bring it down.
If anyone has and advice I am super keen to learn so please feel free to share your knowledge with me.

Welcome to AA! :)
A 30% water change would bring your ammonia levels to about .25. Do you use Prime water conditioner? This would help bind any remaining toxins in the water for up to 48 hours. Did you cycle the tank before adding the guppies?

Welcome ! Love your tank.
What plants are in your tank? And are you using a liquid test kit & testing for nitrite & nitrate?

Hey Greta 1981 and Rodeo one,

I am not using prime at the moment. Currently I am using Stability which seems to be working well.
I did a water change yesterday as I mentioned and I tested my water today and got the following readings:
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite is up above 2.0ppm
Ph 7ish
Nitrate is about 5.0ppm
Are these readings looking good? Does it matter if the Nitrite has spiked?
I unfortunately did not cycle the tank before adding the guppies. I waited about a week as recommend by the LFS I must admit I'm not the most patient person so I have to work on that.
I have an API liquid test kit I wish there was a digital one or maybe there is?
The plants are blue strictas I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those nitrite levels are lethal to fish. You need to do a 50% water change immediately, wait no more than 2 hours, and then do a second 50% change. This is absolutely critical. Yes, your tank is cycling for sure and the numbers look good in that sense but your fish are in major danger right now from those levels.:hide:

For some reason, I can't edit my last post. I would strongly recommend Prime. Stability doesn't protect against toxins in the water and when you're fish-in cycling, this is critical. After the tank is cycled, any water conditioner will be fine, but for the health of your fish, I'd get Prime ASAP. Unfortunately, no, there is no API digital test.

Glad you have the test kit & you re testing. Digital would be awesome, testing is a pain the @$&, I WISH there was one!
Keep doing water changes, read up on 'Fish in cycling' & you ll be fine. Also, don t add any more fish until the tank is stable & then add very slowly. Best of luck, you re off to a good start.

Thanks for the advice Gretta I will buy some Prime ASAP. I am also using Biotec WATER AGER CN as well as Stability.
50% water change done so I will check the water levels again in 2hrs.
Keep the advice coming. Thanks guys and girls.

My recommendation--when you get the Prime, just use that. No need for any other product at all, as it does everything. Less is more when it comes to chemicals added to aquariums. :)

Plants aren't going to grow well with those giant rocks you're using as gravel, unfortunately. You would have been better off with a planted substrate like Florite.

As someone else mentioned, your ammonia and nitrite levels are too high. You shouldn't cycle with fish in the tank, ideally, you should do it with a bottle of pure ammonia and an eye dropper.

Keep up the frequent water changes. See if you can get Tetra Safestart in your country. I can't get it in mine but you can get it in the US. It's much better than what you're using now at getting the biofilter going.

Or, even better, see if you can get your hands on a large volume of cycled biomedia from someone else's tank. Maybe your local retailer will give you some.

Hey Mister Sprinkles,
Its all good under the giant rocks is a layer of black Florite that the plants are planted in.

I have done 2 water changes today and my readings are:
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Ph 7.5
Nitrate 0.0ppm
I took these readings 2hrs after my second 50% water change.

Until I started looking on forums and started asking questions at my LFS I had never heard of cycling the tank. I have always grown up with family buying a gold fish and sticking it in a bowl. So I am learning and quickly. I thought leaving my tank for a week was a long time.

As for the biomedia the rock that has the plant growing on it is from a cycled tank so hopefully that might help.

Greta I tried to get some Prime but as it was Australia Day yesterday and today is a public holiday my LFS was closed. ?

I have done 2 water changes today and my readings are:
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm

At least you're into the nitrite stage of the cycle. Still, this is not safe for your fish. Definitely get your hands on prime and use it as it binds up ammonia and nitrite. It'll help keep your fish alive until your tank cycles.

If those are your readings after two water changes back to back, Prime is even more critical. Your tank is cycling fast, which is great, but as Mistersprinkles said, not good at all for your fish. Did you change any further after water when you saw the .25 nitrite level? If you have Prime, it will bind toxins up to 1 ppm. Depending on how many hours its been since the last water change, those toxins could easily have doubled. Check your parameters and, if they're anywhere above 0, change 30%. I know how much work all this is, believe me. Hang in there. :) :)

Hey
I will get some Prime today and do another water change this afternoon. I did not have time to do a water test this morning so a just did a 50% water change as I got ready for work. This afternoon after work I will prime my tank and test it.
Could some one let me know what I want my readings to be.
Also how do you know when your tank has cycled? I know I a long way of as it's only been going 2 weeks.
Thanks for all of your help. It's very much appreciated.

Your readings should always be 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Anything above 0 ammonia is nitrite is very dangerous to your fish. When the tank is cycled, you will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and low levels of nitrates (0 to 20 ppm is typical.) Ammonia decays into nitrites which in turn are turned into nitrates. Hope that makes sense. :) You're doing a great job. Remember that in case of an emergency, Prime can be safely dosed up till 5 times the usual amount. When you water change with it, remove the water to be changed out, add the Prime directly to the tank, and then refill. The Prime must be added before the tap water is poured in, so the fish are never in contact with any chemicals.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390887409.370675.jpg
Well I have got my hands on some Prime so I will sort it out tonight when I get home from work and I will let you know how I go.

Fantastic!! Good luck! :) Oh--and be forewarned--Prime smells pretty bad, according to some people. I have no problem with it myself, but I figure it's nice to have a head's up just in case. The smell is only in the bottle and dissipates in the water quickly.

Fantastic!! Good luck! :) Oh--and be forewarned--Prime smells pretty bad, according to some people. I have no problem with it myself, but I figure it's nice to have a head's up just in case. The smell is only in the bottle and dissipates in the water quickly.

Haha thanks just smelt the bottle not to bad. If it is I'll blame it on mum or dads cooking as my tank is near the kitchen. ?

Ok so I feel like a prick cause I got home an had really high reading. But there is nothing I oils do as I had to work and could not leave. ?
Below are my readings from this afternoon. I have done a 50% water change since these results and will do another one soon.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390902205.141241.jpg
Who knew fish keeping could be so stressful. ?

Back
Top Bottom