New to AA, but have had my tank for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveandAshley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 120 gallon tank and it is beautiful! I have several fish, that include: 2 Koi (about 3 inches in length), 2 Bala Sharks (1 about 7 inches and one baby), 2 Tinfoil Barbs (1 about 6 1/2 inches and one baby), 2 Silver Dollars (both about 4 inches), 1 Orange Gourami, 1 Eclipse Catfish (about 7 inches long and looks similar to a channel catfish) and 1 Oscar about 4 1/2 inches right now. They all get along really well, the Oscar gets irritated every once in a while but doesn't really do much!
I have noticed that any algea that grows is a brownish/orange color??? I would like to add a Pleco but in past attempts they don't survive. Difference in algea causing my problem???
I have plans for the Koi in an outdoor pond and have been told they are the reason for the different algea because they emit a lot of ammonia???

:welcome: to AA! :)
I currently have a 120 gallon tank and it is beautiful! I have several fish, that include: 2 Koi (about 3 inches in length), 2 Bala Sharks (1 about 7 inches and one baby), 2 Tinfoil Barbs (1 about 6 1/2 inches and one baby), 2 Silver Dollars (both about 4 inches), 1 Orange Gourami, 1 Eclipse Catfish (about 7 inches long and looks similar to a channel catfish) and 1 Oscar about 4 1/2 inches right now. They all get along really well, the Oscar gets irritated every once in a while but doesn't really do much!
I have noticed that any algea that grows is a brownish/orange color??? I would like to add a Pleco but in past attempts they don't survive. Difference in algea causing my problem???
I have plans for the Koi in an outdoor pond and have been told they are the reason for the different algea because they emit a lot of ammonia???
I wouldn't get a pleco to eat the algae, they actually add to the problem, because they produce a lot of poop which is one of the things algae thrive on. You could try turning the tank lights off more often, overfeeding less and doing bigger water changes.
Sounds like a plan for the koi. Their bioload could also be a contributing factor.
Wow you have a really good-sized tank for those fish! Good for you :)
My concern would be the bioload of that tank. What's the flitration? Those fish poop a lot.

Back
Top Bottom