New to AA in Georgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfgdesign

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, Everyone!
My name is Steve, I live in Georgia, and have just started my first saltwater tank. I'm working with a 29 gallon BioCube (hated the bio-balls when using it for freshwater, got rid of 'em). I'm the one that lost a Clownfish today, went totally missing. I've only had the tank set up and running for a little over a week, so I guess I succumbed to the "newbie" trait of rushing into getting my first fish before the tank had fully cycled. Perhaps it died because of this, but according to others on this site, it's very likely that the "hitch-hiker" crabs and snails that came in on the live rock I purchased may have cleaned up the remains for me during the day. So I guess I'll wait a bit more before trying to introduce another fish, but I'm not sure how to tell when the tank has fully cycled and is ready to accept them. All the tests came back thumbs-up for water quality and proper salinity.

UPDATE: Emmet has resurfaced!! The clownfish was actually caught UNDER the bottom grid in the middle filter area at the back of the biocube! While I had moved the filter materials out of the way, I hadn't looked under this grid, thinking that he couldn't POSSIBLY have slipped through the slits, but apparently he did. He is now back in the main part of the tank and doesn't look the worse for wear. If anything, he seems more relaxed. I'm just glad I didn't kill him by putting him in the tank too soon, and that the crabs didn't get him.

Last edited:
welcome!

an aquarium is fully cycled when your tests for ammonia and nitrite show next to zero and nitrate shows something. the bacteria in your tank can then handle the bioload you have in the tank, converting harmful ammonia and nitrite into nitrate.

this might be worth a read

Back
Top Bottom