New to AA just got 60 gallon beauty. Need all the advise i can get.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StephanieCaskey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to AA just got 60 gallon beauty. Need all the advise i can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alrighty kind of brief but Ill try to get you as much information as I can. First Step: Pick out some fish that you like but don't buy them, Do as much research on them as you can such as can they have tank mates, Minimum tank size, food, environment that they live in ect. Step 2: Set up your tank. Pick out substrate ( the bottom layer of your tank, rocks, sand ect) Some fish prefer different substrate but since you researched the fish you will know the best. (some fish don't care, but others need certain size to help keep them healthy....And some fish have better colors in darker substrate. Step3: Pick hardscape ( bigger rocks, logs, any decorations) Once again some fish prefer different things, Shells to hide in, PLants to hide in and just some things to keep the tank interesting for them.
Step 4: Cycle your tank....It get be done a few ways but you should research that because its very important.
Step 5; Add fish
Step 6: Amount of water changes differ depending how many fish you have, if you have plants a good filter ect.

Hope I helped abit, any more questions just ask! :)

Welcome AA you'll find it helpful and learn alot

Welcome to AA! Glad you found us!

I would first cycle your tank before adding any fish. Here is a link to fishless cycling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-a...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html
Things your definitely gonna need are an API freshwater master test kit, pure ammonia, and quite a bit of patience!

After your tank is cycled properly, you can look into which fish you want. You have to decide if you want a nice community tank or a cichlid tank or what. We have quite a bit of great advice to get you started here!

Welcome to the forum. The best advice you'll get on this forum is to be sure your aquarium is fully cycled before adding fish and be consistent on frequent water changes. Also - recommend you buy the API Freshwater test kit if you haven't already. Good luck!

Alrighty kind of brief but Ill try to get you as much information as I can. First Step: Pick out some fish that you like but don't buy them, Do as much research on them as you can such as can they have tank mates, Minimum tank size, food, environment that they live in ect. Step 2: Set up your tank. Pick out substrate ( the bottom layer of your tank, rocks, sand ect) Some fish prefer different substrate but since you researched the fish you will know the best. (some fish don't care, but others need certain size to help keep them healthy....And some fish have better colors in darker substrate. Step3: Pick hardscape ( bigger rocks, logs, any decorations) Once again some fish prefer different things, Shells to hide in, PLants to hide in and just some things to keep the tank interesting for them.
Step 4: Cycle your tank....It get be done a few ways but you should research that because its very important.
Step 5; Add fish
Step 6: Amount of water changes differ depending how many fish you have, if you have plants a good filter ect.

Hope I helped abit, any more questions just ask! :)

Welcome AA you'll find it helpful and learn alot

Thnx for your help! Have some issues for lighting, I have about 15 freshwater plants. What's the best lighting for live planted tanks?

I would first cycle your tank before adding any fish. Here is a link to fishless cycling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/?/125/1/The-almost-Complete-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html
Things your definitely gonna need are an API freshwater master test kit, pure ammonia, and quite a bit of patience!

After your tank is cycled properly, you can look into which fish you want. You have to decide if you want a nice community tank or a cichlid tank or what. We have quite a bit of great advice to get you started here!

Thnx! I could use all the help I can get. I'm really enjoying my aquarium. Love my Saturdays test water, water changes and cleaning my tank! My tank is turning out beautiful! It's hard when we go to the fish store not to buy any fish, trying to get my necessities first.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/?/125/1/The-almost-Complete-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

Well right now I have school of tiger barbs and other species of barbs. I really like the barbs and tetras. Do you know if I can have both species together. I've had some advise me not to put the two species together, and some say I can have both if I have plenty of cover. I bought a book titled tetras and barbs, but it doesn't really tell me which species of tetras I can have with different species of barbs. I love the both and can't really find any advise from aquarium store, most time they just tell me what ever will get me to spend money. I am a sucker at the fish store.

Well right now I have school of tiger barbs and other species of barbs. I really like the barbs and tetras. Do you know if I can have both species together. I've had some advise me not to put the two species together, and some say I can have both if I have plenty of cover. I bought a book titled tetras and barbs, but it doesn't really tell me which species of tetras I can have with different species of barbs. I love the both and can't really find any advise from aquarium store, most time they just tell me what ever will get me to spend money. I am a sucker at the fish store.

Im not sure on that. Most tiger barbs get a bit aggressive and neons are pretty peaceful fish. Thats why they shouldnt be together. As for co2 systems. Its expensive. Around 4 to 600 $ plus then you need to upgrade your light so another 159 to 200

Back
Top Bottom