Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to AA, new tank

In my 20s (20 years ago) I had a 28g fw tank with assorted community fish (guppies, serpae tetras, neons, etc) given to me by my grandfather. My wife and I have decided to try our hand again but she has never owned or maintained an aquarium so we're going to start small and slow. I bought a 10g glass starter kit and it has just completed the initial cycle. We will be adding fish soon. We went to our LFS and window-shopped and she took a liking to the dalmation mollies and golden platys, so I imagine they will be our first test subjects, along with a pleco.

It has been so long since I have done this I am open to all advice and will be reading voraciously to catch up on 20 years of advancements.

ThePerfectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
to AA!

75g Planted Barbs Denison, BlackRuby, Tiger, Albino Tiger, Green Tiger, Cherry, Gold, Checkered, Odessa.
NonBarbs Cardinal, Neon, RummyNose, Bloodfin Tetras, Z. Danios. 1RTS. Amano, Bamboo, Ghost & RCS. 20g Long Shrimp Tank RCS, Tiger, Amano.
jcolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi there, and welcome to AA! Best advice in the hobby is to be patient! Take your time researching the fish you want and set up your tanks to fit what you'd like to keep. Looking forward to see what you come up with.
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
to AA!
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, and welcome to AA! I, also, am a former aquarist (also 20 years ago), and I have found that the knowledge of how to cycle a tank has really improved, and you will not find that information at your lfs. This forum has all the information you need, and you should really take advantage of it. Before proceeding further, be sure to check these out: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-154837.html

You will not regret it, and have a great time with your newly rekindled passion, fishkeeping.
starquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to Aquarium Advice! Good luck with your new tank!

[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com