Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Talking New to AA (not the support group...)

Hi there!
I've been reading posts on Aquarium Advice and other fish keeper forums for a few months now, and I have to say that overall, I like this community the best.

I'm still new to the hobby. I got into keeping fish (or should that be keeping water ) through my 9yo daughter. I 'officially' adopted her Glofish Danio (in a 10g) when it was obvious she had no interest in them anymore. In those 4 months, I've changed everything about the tank except the substrate (okay... i added laterite) and got hooked pretty quickly. Now the tank is moderately planted with a 6" tall Anubis Nana, 3 Amazon Swords (all also about 6" tall), an El Nino Fern, several Wisteria, and a mass of Java Moss that I threaded through netting to make a tall, arced moss wall.

The wall is for the RCS to hide in and eat from - I have about 20 of them. They live with 5 Glofish Danio... and I actually think they are eating the shrimp.

I have two other small tanks- they are 3gallon crescents and each houses a Betta. Both are moderately planted with gentle filters. (I'm tired today and it seems like an awful lot of energy to detail them)

My filter media cartidges are modified - I've removed the carbon and replaced it with Aqueon Biomax, and I've added polishing pads to the filters as well.

I'm starting to plan my next tank and I'm going saltwater - it's exciting! This project will be a long time in the making, though, and I'll be posting threads asking for opinions on set up. I know that I want a pair of Clownfish, some Pajama Cardinals and possibly a Tang, but I feel like that's would make it too Nemo. It will need to be a 50g I'm guessing, hence the long-term plan. (input appreciated!)

Anyways, those are my tanks and my plans, and I look forward to getting to know you on the forum. I'll also be looking to buy supplies and fish, and I know some of you out there sell, so make sure you list your stuff!

Thanks-
Kate

Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum Kate!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the support group ..or wait, that's a different website. My bad :p.

Tangs need a minimum of a 6 foot tank, they like to swim. Post all the questions you want and will be sure to awenser them

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum
Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New info on my tanks!

I upgraded to a 36g bowfront and I LOVE it! I took the decor, gravel and media and seeded the new tank with it. My test kit shows 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates, so it looks as though it cycled quickly (still testing daily tokeep an eye). It house the 4 danios and my new adorable CPDs. I plan to add Chili Rasboras in time.

RCS now have their own tank so they will multiply.

Betts now share the divded 10g. Happy fishies!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownDogKate View Post
New info on my tanks!

I upgraded to a 36g bowfront and I LOVE it! I took the decor, gravel and media and seeded the new tank with it. My test kit shows 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates, so it looks as though it cycled quickly (still testing daily tokeep an eye). It house the 4 danios and my new adorable CPDs. I plan to add Chili Rasboras in time.

RCS now have their own tank so they will multiply.

Betts now share the divded 10g. Happy fishies!
Sounds awesome, chill rasboras are the best little fish.

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! Our support group is AAA(aquarium advice anonymous) lol looks like you've gotten some good sound advice already glad to have you join the family

Tags
group

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello. | azwosje »