New to AA with Pic inside!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noximus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I just joined this forum a few days ago and I am very impressed with how friendly and knowledgeable everyone is.
I have been keeping an aquarium for about 5 years, started with a 10 gallon which I had for the majority of the time and just recently upgraded to a 40 gallon acrylic.

Posted below is a picture of my new tank. This is when it was first set up and had no fish. Unfortunately all 5 of my tiger barbs and two plecos just passed yesterday :( That is what brought me here in the first place, because I have never had anything like this happen. Very saddening because I had most of these fish for over two years. If any of you want to take a peek at my thread in the sick fish portion I would appreciate it. Anyway, it is great to be around friendly people :)

Attachments

• New tank.jpg
    New tank.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 378
welcometoaa.gif

Welcome to the site. Sorry for the loss of your fish. You'll find lots of friendly people here who are very knowledgeable and may help you figure out why your fish died.

Glad you are here!

Welcome to FF!

Hopefully we can figure out what happened to your fish.

If you haven't already, make a post in one of the FW sections. :)

Welcome to the site! Sorry about your losses...

Hey thanks for joining AA. I think that is a very nice tank, not a single scratch on it (YET!). I say this b/c my 55 gal acrylic is scratched up pretty bad, so please please please be super careful with what you use to clean it and care for it.

Don't ever us a metal razor on it, and avoid using anything with ammonia to clean it as this may "cloud" the acrylic. Also watch out for the heat from that light, it can warp the acrylic over time. Forgive me if you knew all this. I just get psyched when I see others with acrylics. What made you choose to get an acrylic tank?

I like the blue background and all the plants too.

Either way it is a really nice looking tank and a nice size too. Plus, it's basically indestructible. You could drop that tank form a 10 story building and it the worst you'd get would be some scratches.

Sorry to hear about your losses too, it's quite tough losing fish you've had for a while. Did you run into cycling issues?

Anyway, welcome!

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

pitt420dude I chose to get an acrylic tank because I love the way the light shines through it. It is super crystal clear, and I also like the fact that it is stronger. I am aware that they scratch pretty easily, and haven't used any cleaning products on it, mainly just a scrubber made for acrylic tanks.

Plus it has rounded corners which makes it look nice I think :)

Cool, I chose to get an acrylic tank because my dad said "Hey, do you want my fish tank?"

Seriously how lucky am I? Little did I know I'd spend just as much converting it to a planted tank as I would if I bought a new one.

Heads up about the scrubber for acrlyic: Make sure there is no gravel or dirt in it. I had a piece of coral caught in between a magfloat and it made a pretty nasty mark. If you get a magfloat be sure to keep it up and away from the substrate at all times.

I like the rounded corners too. Dunno if it's clearer though with all the scratches, lol.

Welcome to AA!
Nice avatar....but that isn't a fw fish ;) Maybe time to jump over to the sw side :)

Sorry for the late welcome and I am sorry to hear your fish loss. But you have joined the best site around for fish-fun-and fellowship. I'm a freshwater fish type of guy myself and feel it is only in good fun that I should warn you that the saltwater gurus will try to assimilate you to the saltwater side of the force--so beware:D

Welcome to AA. For the fish to all drop dead like that, it sounds like an Ammonia surge because the aquarium wasn't cycled yet. Have you bought test kits yet for your water parameters? If not, you need to. API Master Kit is the one you need to get. At the VERY LEAST you need tests for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It's most likely an Ammonia surge that killed your fish, but there's no way to be sure without testing.
And you can be on both sides of the force :)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom