new to aquarium life! been reading up for bout a month on different fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_may

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! Trying to get as much info as I can on freshwater fish and the dos and don'ts before I buy. Every site seems to say different things. For instance one site says clown loaches 3-5 ok in 30 gal or more. Others say bare min of 50 gal. I want dwarf gourami but now with reading how much they DIE I am scared. Would love to have angles but they get big and are semi aggressive. My tank? 45 gal. (Petsmart special doing set up this weekend) ! They will test water for me for free. Anyone got any ideas on some beautiful colorful fish? And can all get along? I do want gouramis really bad. Please help!!!:thanks:

Gouramis are fairly hardy most are easy to moderate to care for so I don't know where you read that they die. Any fish will die if its not properly cared for. Angels and gouramis are both semi aggresive so they would be fine together.

Rrreeaaallyyy? I want dwarf gourami still think ok with an angel? I red dwarfs get sick a lot.

I have 3 angels and 2 dwarf gouramis in my 46 gal. I don't have any issues with aggression. Every fish is different tho lol. I would also reccomend the API fresh water master test kit. When cycling your tank it's easier to have the kit there rather than go to petsmart all the time. Also, some places use the strips to test water. I've found the strips to be inaccurate.

Rrreeaaallyyy? I want dwarf gourami still think ok with an angel? I red dwarfs get sick a lot.
Actually if you go to liveaquaria.com and check the compatibility chart you'll see that they can be kept together. But as stated before each fish is different.

Thank u soooo much! Im getting excited now. Ok guys. What do I put in tank first?

Bought but setting up this weekend. But now I have read I need an exterior power filter with a bio wheel. For my dwarf gouramis. Is this true?

Im sorry let me explain. I wasnt sure what to stock the tank with. Once it cycled. And I originally asked for some ideas. I wanted dwarf gouramis but had read they die and was scared. (I know I get it they all die sometimes) But after seeing you and lady bug talk you say that they should be ok and would do ok with angles. But I just want my fish to alll get along and have a good home. But aquariumfish.net says gouramis need this type system. And I am asking if I have to have it or can get by without it.

Bought but setting up this weekend. But now I have read I need an exterior power filter with a bio wheel. For my dwarf gouramis. Is this true?
Where did you read that. I don't know what the difference would be between a regular hang on back filter and a biowheel filter. You know you need to cycle that tank before adding any fish right.

Yes sir I do. And I read at aquariumfish.net. that I need that. But have the other kind. Pet smart says with the system I have it should cylce in 2 days. Then I can start adding fish. (After of course I test water). But what do I start with? The dwarfs or angles? And how long do I have to wait to add more? I also plan on having bigger tetras in tank.

Yes sir I do. And I read at aquariumfish.net. that I need that. But have the other kind. Pet smart says with the system I have it should cylce in 2 days. Then I can start adding fish. (After of course I test water). But what do I start with? The dwarfs or angles? And how long do I have to wait to add more? I also plan on having bigger tetras in tank.
First what system do you have cause I don't know anything that cycles in 2 days more like 5 weeks. Second bacteria will grow anywhere on gravel, rocks, filter material etc. so I don't know why you need a biowheel as oppose to any other filter. I've kept gouramis with a regular filter years ago without any problem I have a saltwater tank now that I've had about 20 years but when I kept freshwater thats what I used

Cycling takes way more than 2 days. Petsmart is full of idiots. First rule of fish keeping::: NEVER listen to petstore employees. 80% are not knowledgeable and are out to make a sale.
You can try to get established media from a petstore to run in your filter, and one of those bottled bacterias to make your cycle start faster, but at minimum that'll still take a couple weeks.
You can do a fish in cycle, but that takes even more time and you'll have to test daily.
Please read up on that before purchasing any fish!
As for the dwarf gouramis, you should have a filter, but what kind doesn't matter. You should get something rated for double your tank size (or close) so that more benificial bacteria can grow on it to keep your parameters more stable.
You'll also definitely want to buy a test kit. I know pet stores will do it for free, but that's A LOT of trips you'll have to make there...buying your own saves a lot more time and gas.

Under my post, there is an article (after Freshwater Newbie? Click this ) on fish-less cycling and fish-in cycling. Fish-in cycling can be stressful on fish and you could lose some fish. But if you keep on top of it, they should be ok. Up to you on how you cycle your tank.

Thank you all very much for your help!! I truely appreciate it!!!

Back
Top Bottom