New to aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackmoorkirst

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Heyy, im pretty new to all this but have had my tank set up for over two months now :) I have a 30L tank with 1 pleco and 1 black moor I just brought another black moor today who is a little bit smaller than my older one. The bigger one keeps nudging in to the smaller one he doesnt really seem very bothered and is quite happy swimming around. I was wondering if they will ever get along?? once the bigger one realises that the smaller one isn;t really that bothered or should i spilt them up sraight away ?. The smaller one can also fit in ornament i have in the tank to get away from the bigger one. Would really apprichiate any help as would hate for my smaller black moor to die

thanks kirst

:welcome: to AA! (y)

By 30L I'm assuming you mean 30 Liters. If so, unfortunately, a 30L = about 7gallons .. tank is way too small for one goldfish let alone 2 ... not to mention the pleco which is another issue. Goldfish have huge bio-loads .. producing a bunch of waste = ammonia. The rule members will tell you in regards to Goldfish is 20gallons for the 1st goldfish, 10 gallons for each additional. So 2 Blackmoors are best in a 30 gallon = about 120 Liter tank. Blackmoors can also get up to 6+ inches in size and need room. In small tanks their growth gets stunted so while they stop growing on the outside ... their internal organs continue to grow.

If its a common Pleco .... they can grow up to 1 foot in size ... a bristlenose pleco get about 6 inches ... still too big for a 30L. Any chance of upgrading to a larger tank?

:welcome: to AA! (y)

By 30L I'm assuming you mean 30 Liters. If so, unfortunately, a 30L = about 7gallons .. tank is way too small for one goldfish let alone 2 ... not to mention the pleco which is another issue. Goldfish have huge bio-loads .. producing a bunch of waste = ammonia. The rule members will tell you in regards to Goldfish is 20gallons for the 1st goldfish, 10 gallons for each additional. So 2 Blackmoors are best in a 30 gallon = about 120 Liter tank. Blackmoors can also get up to 6+ inches in size and need room. In small tanks their growth gets stunted so while they stop growing on the outside ... their internal organs continue to grow.

If its a common Pleco .... they can grow up to 1 foot in size ... a bristlenose pleco get about 6 inches ... still too big for a 30L. Any chance of upgrading to a larger tank?

+1

Sadly, you will not be able to keep your proposed stocking in this tank. I do want to welcome you to the forum, though! Maybe we can help you pick out more suitable fish for your tank.

Welcome to the best aquarium community there is :) You'll find so many helpful and knowledgeable people here. You'll quickly find that there are no dumb questions. All of us have been a beginner at one point or another & we all have the same ultimate goal...amazing, healthy aquariums. Ask away...watch the answers roll in!

I got told by the pet shop it was big enough for 3 fish it's a pretty big tank but I'm awful at measuring the placo I have won't grow anymore he's reached his 5 cm's can anyone please advise me in what to do with my blackmoor

I got told by the pet shop it was big enough for 3 fish it's a pretty big tank but I'm awful at measuring the placo I have won't grow anymore he's reached his 5 cm's can anyone please advise me in what to do with my blackmoor

Ah yes ... the number one rule here at AA ... do not listen to what LFS employees tell you. Believe me, after spending a month on this ... or other such forums ... you'll be shocked at the things you'll hear at your LFS.

A 30 Liter tank is really only suitable, barely, for a betta, some snails and or shrimp. With plecos, it depends on the species you bought. Common plecos are deceiving because LFS's usually only have juveniles which are small ... but then you find it outgrows your tank, or gets it's growth stunted and develops a crooked spine.

I got told my plec would only grow to 5 cms he is a hong kong butterfly plec as for my moors will they ever get on ?

Back
Top Bottom