Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
If you are gonna do salt I would not start with seahorses. They are quite demanding and really can't be housed with other fish. A nice fowlr would be a good starting place to do salt. Then once you get the hang of that upgrade the lights and get into easy corals.
Freshwater isn't boring. I love my fresh and salt tanks equally. Both can look amazing as well. You will have more options fish wise in freshwater than saltwater with a hex tank as well.
This is good input. I am limited on three major things - Space, Money and Experience. From what I see people have all kinds of setups with CO2, sumps, wet dry, spill over, skimmers etc. That wouldn't fit under this little stand so thats a reason to go with fw.

Will the eheim work for both sw and fw or would I need a different type of pump? Is there any other equipment required for keeping sw?

I realize water chemistry is everything, like oxygen and getting the perfect balance can be tough. As with all other endeavors if it was easy everyone would be doing it..

Old 01-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It will work for salt but you will need to keep it very clean orbit will become a nitrate trap. For salt you will also need powerheads and a skimmer will make life easier.

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeb View Post
This is good input. I am limited on three major things - Space, Money and Experience. From what I see people have all kinds of setups with CO2, sumps, wet dry, spill over, skimmers etc. That wouldn't fit under this little stand so thats a reason to go with fw.

Will the eheim work for both sw and fw or would I need a different type of pump? Is there any other equipment required for keeping sw?

I realize water chemistry is everything, like oxygen and getting the perfect balance can be tough. As with all other endeavors if it was easy everyone would be doing it..
It goes Deeper than just oxygen, seriously,notice i used a capital d.

What eheim filter do you have? All filter and powerheads can be used for both.

If youre worried about cost SW isnt for you. Realisticly a 60g tank is going to be in 4digits when you include equipment and fish and that doesnt include ongoing cost for ro water and minerals needed for remineralising the water. More importantly if you dont spend enough or get the equipment needed you and your tanks enviroment are at a serious disadvantage and is impossible without the basics. Maybe do alittle reaearch and get an idea of it and what it take to keep/set up a tank. Research cycling a tank and also the water chemistry involved with any aquarium.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would definitely go fresh if your a beginner, not only is it less costly, but it is also easier to maintain. My 20 gallon fresh cost no more than 100 dollars to build while my 10 gallon salt cost more around 400+ to build. I'd say go fresh for now and once you get the hang of it try salt.You will probably save more money by just converting rather than starting with a salt and potentially crashing it.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm thinking of the EHEIM 2213 66gal filter. The aquarium is a 60gal hex so its tall. I'm going to go fw with fwlor. Probably ciclids. Will this filter be sufficient? Also can anyone recommend any LED lights to fit under the hood? I'd like it to rotate colors and such. Due to the tanks height the lights would have to be bright enough for the live rock or plants too.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Noway is the 2213 going to be enough unfortunatly it struggled with my 29g that i had. Realisticly yoyre looking at 2217 or a fluval 406 or another filter with those type of ghp ratings.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Alright I'll get that beast then ty
Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good on you. Youre in the right place with eheim classics though, They rock. Best filters ive owned.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Eheim all the time every time. Beautiful fish btw molliwopp.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post
Noway is the 2213 going to be enough unfortunatly it struggled with my 29g that i had. Realisticly yoyre looking at 2217 or a fluval 406 or another filter with those type of ghp ratings.

My tank is 60Gallons, i'm trying to figure out the filter size so I looked at EHEIMS site.. The data sheet shows the 2213 is for tanks up to 66gallons and will filter 116 gallons an hour.. Is this over rated ? How can they make claims and your 29g struggled against something thats recommended for more than double the size?
Model 2213 2215 2217
Aquarium Size 66 U.S. gal. 93 U.S. gal. 159 U.S. gal.
Pump Output 116 U.S. gal./h 164 U.S. gal./h 1264 U.S. gal./h

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com