Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2016, 04:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to Aquariums!

Hey everyone. I'm Jus, I'm and active duty US Marine stationed in SoCal. For a long time I've been intrigued about aquariums so I finally purchased one! I got a Fluval Spec V and have decided to do a planted freshwater aquarium since I'm a beginner and got intimidated by all that intails keeping a healthy saltwater tank. I do hope to have a saltwater tank in the future though.

So far I purchased a heater that keeps the tank at 78*F, and added bacteria and conditioner to the water. I also added the rocks, driftwood, Marimo moss ball, and a plant. The water has been cycling for about a week now. Where do I go from here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	285948  

Old 04-03-2016, 04:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum 😀

How are you cycling the tank?

You could probably do with a few more plants. Also don't be surprised if they don't flourish in your current set up. Plants need light, carbon and nutrients to grow well and the stronger the light the more of the other two are required. This poses a problem for submerged plants because obtaining enough carbon is a huge challenge underwater. Sometimes people are able to grow plants without adding additional forms of carbon, especially if the light intensity is low but others are not. Bare that in mind for now

Looks like you have some fast growers, hygrophila defformis and hygrophila polysperma? Try allowing good gas exchange by using the filter to disturbed the water surface slightly. This should allow a small but steady supply of carbon in to the water as well as good oxygen levels which are very important for the ecosystem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-03-2016, 05:06 AM   #3
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Caliban07 offers good advice. I'll only add that you've bought a good starter tank in the Spec V. Just don't add too many fish too soon: that size isn't meant to support a lot of fish.

That aside, welcome to AqAd!
Old 04-03-2016, 05:15 AM   #4

Caliban, I'm just cycling it by letting it run through the filter for a few days, and also that I added the bacteria and conditioner.

I want more plants but the one store I went to didn't have many others that caught my eye, I'll be going to another one tomorrow hopefully.

Is there a specific time I should run the day and/or night lights to jump start everything and get the tank going faster?

I was thinking about trying to make a DIY CO2 system? Or should I just buy one?
Old 04-03-2016, 05:17 AM   #5

Also, how could I disturb the water surface with the filter? Just point it upward?
Old 04-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may need to look up fishless cycling or fish in cycling. Unfortunately cycling is not as simple as what you are suggesting.

I would hang far in co2 at the moment and just observe the plants.

Yes you can just aim the outlet towards the surface. Try to find a happy medium were their is food agitation that is not annoyingly loud.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

Will do!

Old 04-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJus View Post
Will do!

Please excuse the typos. Predictive text....

Old 04-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #9

No problem..

Looks like I've got to learn, haha

Old 04-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome, and thanks for your service to the greatest country in existence! We have a son who just got out of the Marine Corps, a son in the Navy, and a daughter in the Air Force. Not sure where this old Army man went wrong in raising my kids. *Sigh*

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com