Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Freak

I ordered a API Master kit, i just had a friend with some test strips to use just to see whats going on in the tank i have been doing the water changes just not every 12 hours more like every day its not like i have been trying to neglect the fish, i just wont exactly whats going on until i get that kit..

Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah he knows what to do and if he doesn't he'll ask

Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmyed9 View Post
I ordered a API Master kit, i just had a friend with some test strips to use just to see whats going on in the tank i have been doing the water changes just not every 12 hours more like every day its not like i have been trying to neglect the fish, i just wont exactly whats going on until i get that kit..
I didn't mean that you were neglecting them on purpose. I'm sorry if I sounded that way. It's just that when first starting out, some people don't realize that Goldfish put out a lot more waste than the average tropical fish. I have no idea why they do but I know they do. So the ammonia levels will get higher faster, than other fish. So to be on the safe side, until you receive the kit the 12h PWC will get and keep the ammonia down.
Are you using a bucket to do your PWC or do you have a water changer? Take it from someone who's had 5 back surgeries, get a water changer, save your back. Lugging a bucket back and forth draining and refilling the tank can wear out your back, even if the sink is fairly close. I also had to have a hernia surgery, after lugging buckets for the first 5 years of fish keeping.
Again, I apologize if I sounded like I was scolding you for neglecting your fish. I didn't mean it that way.
I hope you get your kit soon.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Freak

its cool, i wasnt offended, i didnt buy a whole complete water changer just one of those hand vac pump things since i got a window next to my tank i can drop the water out threw there, i want to get a water hose to help fill it, only thing is the one i got now when i bought it it said "non potable" which means dont drin from this hose so id figure id be hard on the fish too so i been bucketing for now, and yea i agree changing it bucket style sucks
Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
its cool, i wasnt offended, i didnt buy a whole complete water changer just one of those hand vac pump things since i got a window next to my tank i can drop the water out threw there, i want to get a water hose to help fill it, only thing is the one i got now when i bought it it said "non potable" which means dont drin from this hose so id figure id be hard on the fish too so i been bucketing for now, and yea i agree changing it bucket style sucks
If your tank is high enough you can use the Aqueon with gravity to drain the tank and then attach it to a sink to fill. I have one tank on a tall stand and I use gravity with it and it works fine. It's much slower, so if I'm in a hurry I have the option of using it either way.
I can do a complete cleaning in 30min., including vacuuming under all the decor.
So even on days that I don't have a lot of time, I can still fit a PWC & a good cleaning in, if they need it. They never have to wait. And the absolute best part, NO MORE BUCKETS,EVER!!!

Between the 5 back surgeries and the 1 BIG front hernia surgery, I don't need to be lifting any buckets anyway.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea only thing is my sink is a grip away from my tank my window folds down for cleaning so im think of buying a more fish friendly water hose until it gets cold and invest in a aqueon 50 ft water changer/vacuum
Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
yea only thing is my sink is a grip away from my tank my window folds down for cleaning so im think of buying a more fish friendly water hose until it gets cold and invest in a aqueon 50 ft water changer/vacuum
That's what I use it work great, but the Flow Valve is plastic and it cracks easy.
But it will reseal with Super Glue, it just won't take any pressure. So you can't turn the water on and close the valve to carry the hose into the other room. It will blow right off the faucet and water will explode all over the room, a lot of water.
I just have a spare on hand in case it breaks. Murphy's law when I have a spare it works great, but as soon as I only have one, boom, it blows. So I try to keep an extra at all times.
Nothings perfect all the time, it does the job, it just has that 1 flaw.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice Freak

My fish appear to have black spots on thier bodies....any idea what that is?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:47 AM   #99
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmyed9
My fish appear to have black spots on thier bodies....any idea what that is?
A picture is always helpful for a more accurate diagnosis/prognosis.
Any chance?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Freak

i can get a picture just have to find my camera, my phone has a camera but it dont work atm, its small black spots, when there were no black spots before, just picture someone drawing on a fish with a magic marker, thats what it looked like, i went and bought Seachem Headstart and some API Super Ich Cure, they seem to be much more lively, unfortunately im down to 3 fish but the last three are doing much better

Tags
iheartmyed9

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com