New to aquariums - no fish yet, I promise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi to all, I just purchased my very first aquarium this weekend and am hoping to get started cycling my tank soon. Thankfully I haven't bought any fish yet, and I think I'm going to ignore my LFS's advice to put some platys in my tank to cycle it.

I have a 29 g tank with natural decor (driftwood and rock) and plain fine gravel substrate. I'm going with standard tank lighting to start with and planning to grow a few low light plants.

Hopefully I can pull off the fishless tank cycle, although I'm not looking forward to driving an hour to the nearest ACE hardware to buy $2 worth of ammonium!

This forum has already been a huge source of information for me and saved me from many pitfalls. Hopefully I'll posting tank pics in a few months!

Welcome I hope you find this forum as good as I have. Plus if you wanted to try fish in cycling there is lots of great info on here :)

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hi to all, I just purchased my very first aquarium this weekend and am hoping to get started cycling my tank soon. Thankfully I haven't bought any fish yet, and I think I'm going to ignore my LFS's advice to put some platys in my tank to cycle it.

I have a 29 g tank with natural decor (driftwood and rock) and plain fine gravel substrate. I'm going with standard tank lighting to start with and planning to grow a few low light plants.

Hopefully I can pull off the fishless tank cycle, although I'm not looking forward to driving an hour to the nearest ACE hardware to buy $2 worth of ammonium!

This forum has already been a huge source of information for me and saved me from many pitfalls. Hopefully I'll posting tank pics in a few months!

Hello TX...

You can effectively cycle a tank with some Platys or Zebra Danios. Both species will easily make it through the process if you carefully check the water properties. I cycled my first tank with some Fancy Guppies and had no problems. The process takes 4 to 6 weeks tops. To me it's much easier than buying the chemicals.

Just a thought to consider or not.

B

I really think fish in or out is just a preference really. Personally I did a 29 gallon fish in and really knew little to nothing it was a lot of work. I felt like I was water changing forever even in my sleep. I am in the middle of a 55 gallon fish less cycle. All you need is pure ammonia. Add to 4ppm sit test and wait. Much less work so far and no worry about stressing out any fish.

Wow, thanks for all the info! I'll check that out. It's been harder to find information about fish-in cycling than fishless.

Back
Top Bottom