Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New to Aquariums - trying my hand at saltwater

We bought our tank five days ago and so far things are going ok. We have two clown fish and four hermit crabs in our 29 gallon tank and in our 6 gallons tank we have one damsil and one hermit crab. We had one shirmp in our 29 but it died the first night. My husband said that he had a hard time getting him out of the bag so he may have hurt it. But everyone else seems happy. I had to do some quick reading on my clown fish since they were doing all kind of crazy things that had me saying, "What the H?" and from what I've read my larger of the two is most likely now a female

Glad I found this site so that I can post questions to help me along with my tanks. Seems like everyone in my family is loving it.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

Welcome to AA!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Great white snark
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA.

Mitchell should be happy, another Saltie

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

As much as we like helping out, we like to learn too. How did you get livestock in the tank after purchasing it only 5 days ago?

Oh... my manners. Welcome to AA!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Community Moderator

Welcome to AA

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Welcome to AA! There's a ton to learn here.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the warm welcomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
As much as we like helping out, we like to learn too. How did you get livestock in the tank after purchasing it only 5 days ago?
We bought the tank and set it up on Saturday and then bought the clown fish, damsil and crabs on Sunday. They said that they were pretty tough and would help our tank get to where it needs to be so that we can add a Tang and others that we want. They said in four weeks they would test our water and let us know what we could do next.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Wow. Be very wary of the lfs (local fish shop) and the advice they're giving. You are currently cycling a tank with fish most likely. Ammonia is high and it hurts fish. It'd be like you swimming in a septic tank almost. Clowns are damsels, which are very tough fish, but cycling a tank that way hurts them. Cycling a tank with fish is a very old practice in the trade these days IMO. Read our articles section on cyling a sw tank the humane way.

Also, a 29g is not a large enough tank for ant tang. The yellow tang needs a 6ft swim. 125g or larger.

If you can, get an ammonia and nitrate test kit right away, read up on cycling a tank and you'll know what the tests are for.

Good luck. Stay in touch. We will help you. Read this and do more research on the subject. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

This is a real exciting hobby and its easy to do what you're doing right now - which is relying on someone who wants to sell you something and making mistakes that will stress your fish and you and not allow you to enjoy the hobby.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to that. Usually you want to do a fishless cycle. Setting up SW or FW for 1 day then putting fish in it is usually a death sentence (at least shortened life). That is, unless you seed your filter with a bacteria colony. Even then, you should go more like a week, testing daily and supplying an ammonia source of some kind. LFSs usually are motivated by the sale, not the safety and health of the fish. The fish will die, and you'll come back for more. I think they figure why bother taking the time to educate someone and possibly scare them off when you have a bird in the hand.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com