new to aquatics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spencelee10

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone I'm new to keeping fish (so ill be on here a lot). My girl friend go me a betta at petco for Valentines day as a part of their build ur betta weekend. So she gave it to me in a small half gallon plastic bowl with some gravel and a fake plant. Typical fish store cheapness. So I went online and read all about keeping a betta and how bad small bowl is. So after researching I went and bought a 10 gallon tank. I don't have the money to get all that's needed yet (have to wait till Friday to get paid.) I may not have the money to do a fishless cycle. Just wondering if I can get some pointers on tankmates for the new tank, which fish to use for cycling, and decor for the tank. I'm planning on using sand for substrate with low to moderate light. Thanks for the help

Welcome to AA!

The betta would be the best fish to 'cycle' with (since they are generally more hardy.). Just make sure, since there is going to be ammonia and nitrite in the tank while cycling (toxic to fish), to do a Partial water change everyday until your cycle is over. By doing this, it will keep the toxic levels down enough for the fish to live.

I also recommend getting a test kit (Liquid, not strips -strips are inaccurate), This is so you can test your parameters while cycling (and after also). When you tank is cycled, your parameters should be: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5-20, Ph 6-8 (depends on your set-up/ tap).

Bettas are best kept solitary, they can be aggressive with other tank-mates (really, it depends on the bettas personality. You could always try, but If worse comes to worse, separate.)

Enjoy the forum.

Back
Top Bottom