Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i was planning on buying a 250gph model untill i saw a fluval 205 it was the last on my petsmart had and i somehow got it for 89.99 it was originally 160 there and i thought it was on sale for 109.99 according to the internet, so i got that one and it moves 180 gph which takes me to a total of 680 gph now( 2 hob and one canister ) and was a little friendlier on the wallet. i also rehomed 6 of the 9 goldies to another tank a friend has and he is going to put them in his pond as soon as it warms up here in michigan, the other 3 goldies i like too much to part with and wil just make the situation work. i also have a betta question if anyone could help i have one twin tail mail betta in a 10 gallon lightly planted with a heater and filter, i want to put another betta in there with him and am wondering which type would make a good tank mate and weather i should get one male or two females to go in there with him? i would really like to get the extra betta today so any advice would really help me out

Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by frshwaterfish View Post
i was planning on buying a 250gph model untill i saw a fluval 205 it was the last on my petsmart had and i somehow got it for 89.99 it was originally 160 there and i thought it was on sale for 109.99 according to the internet, so i got that one and it moves 180 gph which takes me to a total of 680 gph now( 2 hob and one canister ) and was a little friendlier on the wallet. i also rehomed 6 of the 9 goldies to another tank a friend has and he is going to put them in his pond as soon as it warms up here in michigan, the other 3 goldies i like too much to part with and wil just make the situation work. i also have a betta question if anyone could help i have one twin tail mail betta in a 10 gallon lightly planted with a heater and filter, i want to put another betta in there with him and am wondering which type would make a good tank mate and weather i should get one male or two females to go in there with him? i would really like to get the extra betta today so any advice would really help me out
It is never recommended to house more the one male betta per tank. They will fight and someone will die. Female bettas cannot be housed with a male betta unless both are ready to mate otherwise the male will harrass the female and kill her. If you want to keep more than one betta in the same tank, you can have a tank with at least 5 females. If there is only 2, they will fight. If there is three, the weakest one will become a target. If there are 4, it could work. Keep in mind though that no matter how many you have, 5, 6, 8, you should monitor them for a time to be sure that no one is getting picked on. Even after some time getting a lon, it can suddenly happen that something changes and the harmony is no longer there.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #33

Question

ok, what can i put in my ten gallon with my betta, could i put a small pleco in, or do you know or some cool fish that can live with him? im vry confused about this equal numbers of people saying i can add another betta with my twin tail and those who say i cant. i have room for a structure for hiding if that would help any fish that would work with my male twin tail betta.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have read that some people are successful at keeping a single male with a harem of 5 females that way no single female gets harrassed by the male. I wouldn't do it myself. Other fish that can work with bettas are species that are very peaceful, and not nip the bettas fins. Here's some possiblities; dwarf Corydoras, Otocinclus and small shoaling species such as Trigonostigma or Boraras sp. Avoid any species with flowing finnage like guppies, as a male fighter might see these as competition and attack them. A woman posted on youtube about how she keeps bettas with guppies but the tank is heavily planted breaking the line of sight offering lots of hiding places for the guppies. It's really cool.

I keep my bettas with corydoras, glowlight tetras, rummynose tetras, kuhli loaches, and bamboo shrimp.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here ya go: This is a rough idea. Hope it helps.
1 Betta with 8 Rummynose Tetras would stock your 10 gallon by 97%
1 Betta with 8 Glowlight Tetras, 6 dwarf cories= 90% stocked
1 Betta, 8 Cardinal Tetra=98% stocked
1 Betta, 6 Pygmy Coridoras, 7 Neon Tetras=100% stocked
1 Betta, 5 Kuhli Loach= 86% stocked

And this would be absolutely adorable IMO.
1 Betta, 6 Otoccinclus vestitus, 6 Dwarf Pencilfish + 96% stocked
If you choose to use Otos they would need your tank to be mature first...meaning they will need the tank to have algae established. You can supplement their diet though. But they will do much better if the tank has natural algae growing in it.

One more suggestion would be
1 Betta, 6 Otocinclus Vestitus, 6 Harlequin Rasbora (heteromorpha type)
Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #36

thx for the betta advice lovin fish, i went and got two mystery snails for the time being and my betta scuba steve is getting along fine with them. my 55 is still cycling and im keeping up on all my wc ect and all fish are alive and well
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
thx for the betta advice lovin fish, i went and got two mystery snails for the time being and my betta scuba steve is getting along fine with them. my 55 is still cycling and im keeping up on all my wc ect and all fish are alive and well
Hey not a problem! I LOVE helping! So much fun Sounds great! My bettas ingnore the snails completely. The woman I got them from had them in bowls with snails; snails didn't last over night! She tried Shrimp, and they ate the shrimpies up! She also tried frogs in the bowls...they got killed. Too small of quarters I spose! I have found bettas in community tanks are awesome! As long as there are not any fin nippers in with them.

I am happy to hear all is going well with your fish and you are keeping up with the PWC! Great Job!!! Thanks for the update
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #38

my pinstripe eel is driving me crazy lately but is one of the coolest things in my tank he loves to borrow under my biggest plant and spend the day up rooting it lol... im going to put some more gravel in tonight and see what happens, also am going to clean one of my filter, my pengiun 350 has nasty looking filter pads on the inside i cant imagine how bad it wouldve looked if i wouldnt of got the other hob and canister to go with it.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
my pinstripe eel is driving me crazy lately but is one of the coolest things in my tank he loves to borrow under my biggest plant and spend the day up rooting it lol... im going to put some more gravel in tonight and see what happens, also am going to clean one of my filter, my pengiun 350 has nasty looking filter pads on the inside i cant imagine how bad it wouldve looked if i wouldnt of got the other hob and canister to go with it.
Oh cool! Eeels are fascinating I don't have any though. Try putting some cool looking stones around the base of the plant. That'd probably do the trick!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #40

Exclamation

help my parrot cichlid has ick starting on his fins i noticed it last night and think hes the only one with it. what is the best method of curing this im planning on going to the store as soon as i get some advice on this ive read of 3 different ways one was salt and increased heat but all my fish might not be able to handle the extra salt or meds but what do i do to my 2 hob and my canister so the meds dont get taken out of the water?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com