new to aquriums and forums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fcastrofilippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

New to this whole wonderful obsession. I have a 75 gallon saltwater set up. I bought a used amiracle sump. I have a marineland 100 insump protein skimmer. Two maxi-jet 1200 powerheads. 60 pounds of base rock, 60 lbs of pink samoa sand and no fish yet.

I just started the waiting game last weekend. I plan on buying some live rock (about 20 lbs) this weekend to seed the tank. A local aquarium shop told me I can add a grouper to help speed up the seeding process. Any thoughts?

I am really excited about all this, and plan to ask lots of questions.

:)

Frank

Do not add any fish as this is not considered a humane way to cycle a tank. Purchase uncured liverock to provide the ammonia source and jumpstart your cycle.

Oh and welcome to AA ;)

Welcome to AA and the Salt water obsession!!!

I would stick with the plan you have set for yourself. Adding a fish to speed up the cycle is just going to hurt the fish. Adding some LR and a raw cocktail shrimp will get your cycle going.

Go to the article section of the site and read about cycling your tank.

Frank,

Just replied to your LI thread.. I took Ziggy's and the rest of the crews advice and did a fishless cycle. I went off without a hitch.

I added a piece of shrimp but I don't even think I needed it. I had 50lbs of LR that I ordered online and the die-off pretty much cycled my tank. It took around 3-4 weeks to complete then I added some fish. My numbers have been great.. Ammonia and Nitrites are pegged at zero even though I'm making the traditional rookie mistakes like over-feeding. But my bacteria seems to be able to handle the added bio-load with no problems.

And.. Of Course... WELCOME to AA.. .

Back
Top Bottom