new to betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got a betta and placed him in an Eclipse Hex 5 (5 gallon tank). He has been in it for just over a month. I am concerned because the water current creted by the filter seems to be a bit strong and it is not adjustible. It pushes him when he comes close to it. I know that people talk in terms of whether a betta is "stressed" by this, but I have no idea. How do I know if the betta is stressed? Is current bad for the betta? Some write yes and advise that water should be still, while others say that the current is fine and that it even provides their bettas with exercise. Not sure exactly what to do. I blocked the water flow a bit using some marbles but am now concerned because the filter is obviously not filtering as much water as it is designed to filter. Also, becasue of the decreased water flow, the "bio-wheel" no longer turns. Anyway, I am confused. Any advice? Thanks :confused:

Welcome to AA! What I would do is get rid of the marbles and put a pre filter on the intake of the filter. A sponge for an aqua clear filter with a slit cut in it will work. It allows a slower water flow but still filters just fine. What kind of filter is it? The water tube for the bio wheel may have gunk in it and need to be rinsed.

I had a male betta in my 26g with a penguin 150 on it, he ALWAYS swam in that current, he did barrel rolls, flips, spins, he had fun, when he didnt want to move alot he retired to his sunken treasure.

Id do the prefilter sponge fix, it does work and works well. It leaves a much softer current that he will do the same thing in.

Back
Top Bottom