Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-17-2010, 12:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Think?!? Lol

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
sorry,sorry sorry for late posting....sorry dkpate again for late posting...

discus_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Originally Posted by nanamae View Post
I will have alot of questions such as do you need a uv fliter as well as a protien skimmer? I was successful without these things but it was with the tough chiclid. I'am so excited to begin. I figure I'am 6 months away from having the Discus,but that's what will be so rewarding. All advice will be respected and put to good use.
So Hi everyone,looking forward to being a part of this family.
uv filter and protein skimmer are for saltwater tank,not for discus tank....

The primary thing for keeping discus is to keep discus in a community aquarium. If you keep a community tank for discus aquarium that is the best thing for all, if your discus form community then half of your job is done.
Discus can grow very fast, so obviously, they need more and more space to move around in the aquarium. If discus can move freely in your tank, then you can easily say that that discus can grow very fast as it is also very healthy fish, which is out of any diseases…

Discus is a very sensitive fish. discus needs a fixed temp and ph level…for the first day of my discus keeping I keep 30 deg centigrade temp and ph level 7. I am very successful for that…many people say that discus can also live 28 deg temperature. You may buy a thermostat and can buy a digital thermometer.

For discus or any aquarium, the NH3 and nitrite level must be zero.

Steps taken to remove toxic level
  1. You change 40 % water change in every week, also provides some medicines needed for discus.
  2. You can but a siphon to remove the wastes from fishes…because the wastes can cause high the toxic level…there are too many things to reduce toxic level.. iltering in a proper way is also helps you to remove it…

For discus aquarium, the most important thing is filtration. The best is obviously the external filter…those who do not use it use biological filter or undergravel filter but not the power filter because discus cannot survive in high power filtering system. You can see that the juvenile discus is near the filter because due to the power the filter drags the discus towards it. Hence, the discus cannot swim freely and may die due to this.

Choice of discus food is also an important part to become a successful discus keeper. From my experience, I say that discus loves to eat frozen warm like “tetra bits”. Discus can eat 3 times max but not more than that. Be sure that when you give food to discus the extra food that must not go to the bottom because it causes toxic level high. It is an experience of lifetime that discus feed from your hand but it happens if you keep your discus very well. When you go to your aquarium all discus come near you.

Youmay know that discus loves to hide, so that you should provide driftwoods and plants in your aquarium. However, most importantly keep your discus in a calm and cool atmosphere…specially for the juveniles and the newer discus when attacked by other discus go to the hiding place and hide. If you do not provide hiding place discus can die.

The discus you can keep neon and cardinal tetra, angel, clown loach, pleco, cory, black ghost knife, Asiatic, elephant nose etc... However, never keep gold fish and others.

Discus survive in 30 degree centigrade. But most of the plants cannot able to survive in this high temperature. The plants who survive are anubias sp, echinodorous sp, java moss, anacharis sp.

For discus aquarium, you should see that there is same size of discus; this has some advantages… when you keep all same size discus then the discus can’t fight with each other and hence all discus can live well, so that they can grow rapidly. where as if you keep different size of discus then the juveniles are attacked by bigger one and many a times they die due to this, if not die the are stunned discus, because lack of food they stop their growth. So keep all same size discus.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
for more information you may ask me.i can help you out as per as i can...

fresh, fresh water, sting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com